Ellevest is seeking a talented copywriter to help to tell the story of Ellevest across our marketing website, emails, & advertising. Ellevest is not your fathers financial services company. (In other words, were interesting.) As a Brand Copywriter at Ellevest, youll make big financial decisions & detailed investing transactions feel easy, appropriately serious & powerfully rewarding for our prospective clients. You will tell stories that shine a light on the gender money gaps women face, in a way that encourages positive action. You will write in a voice thats informative but not jargoned-out or condescending, & relatably human but not frivolous. Youll always be by women, for women, but never, ever shrinked & pinked. And you wont be afraid to get bold & tell it like it is. Whatever the task, your prime directive will be to make sure the Ellevest story is super-engaging: compelling, rewarding, informative, accessible, & consistently told. This is a full-time position based in our office in New York City.
- Work closely with the Marketing & Design teams from conceptualization through iteration to create copy that communicates the Ellevest brand & experience
- Collaborate closely with our designers to elevate the brand across materials & platforms
- Think strategically about how each message communicates an idea, evokes an emotion, & encourages an action
- Participate enthusiastically in creative meetings, bringing your full efforts to each marketing message to optimize performance of our marketing assets
- Craft & help strategize advertising copy that arrests, intrigues, delights & converts!
- Write & help strategize homepage copy that hooks into an emotional need, clearly communicates the value proposition & brings the user further into the Ellevest experience with brevity & wit
- Write & help strategize direct-response emails & product announcements that stand out in any inbox & deliver information concisely
- Regularly audit marketing messaging for freshness, consistency, appropriates to target markets, & conversion performance, helping evolve brand identity & voice as the company evolves
- Be a a swiper, a swotter, & a trendspotter, researching & staying aware of the consumer calendar, pop culture, the competitive landscape, best-in-class advertising, & advertising trends
- Work with the Executive Producer on other copywriting needs as assigned
- 4-7 years of relevant copywriting experience working at an agency or startup
- A strong digital background across channels, with an impressive portfolio to prove it
- Demonstrated skill turning complex ideas, market research, & data into engaging, informative, & clear brand language & stories
- A snappy writing style, able to write in a smart, bold, accessible, & fun voice think finance meets feminism & womens lifestyle
- Proficiency adapting that voice across various platforms & uses without losing the brand
- Familiarity with SEO, UX, A/B testing, & user testing
- Financial writing experience a huge plus
- Ability to move quickly from concept to whiteboard to execution
- Openness to receiving feedback & having your opinions challenged
- Exceptional grammar, copy editing, proofreading, & verbal communication skills
- Self-starting & experience balancing & prioritizing different projects at once; communicating progress, & delivering on time
- The power to thrive in an unstructured, fast-moving & constantly evolving high-growth environment
- Very high standards
- Passion for our women-oriented mission
Ellevest is a transformative technology company created to help women achieve their financial potential. Ellevest helps women take control of their financial futures through investing, with a beautifully designed digital platform backed by an incredibly smart algorithm. Ellevest was co-founded by Wall Street veteran Sallie Krawcheck, chair of the Ellevate Network, previously CEO of Smith Barney & Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, formerly CFO of Citi, & author of Own It: The Power of Women at Work. Ellevest has raised over $44MM from investors like Rethink Impact, Salesforce Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Morningstar, & Venus Williams.
Ellevest has flipped the traditional approach to investing with a real-life, goal-based approach. Clients select personal financial goals such as buying a home, starting a business, raising a family, & retiring well, among others. Ellevest is unique in taking into account a womans longer lifespan & different salary curve, combined with her current financial picture, to construct highly customized investment portfolios for each of her goals. Ellevests unique algorithms are designed to get the client to her goal number or better in 70% of market scenarios, higher than traditional financial advisors.
Working at Ellevest
Ellevest is a leading tech company in New York City, with a thriving team across our engineering, product, marketing, client experience, investments, & operations organizations. We place a major emphasis on building a team & working environment where individuals can succeed professionally & personally. As a team member at Ellevest, you can expect to make a difference through your work, to have a direct impact on the achievement of a very meaningful mission, to significantly advance your career trajectory, & to have room for fun & fulfillment in your daily life. We know that achieving a mission as critical as ours requires incredible talent & teamwork, & team is the most important thing to us.
In 2018, Ellevest was awarded the #14 spot on LinkedIns list of most sought-after startups, as well as a spot on CNBCs Disruptor 50 list -- identifying start-ups on the cutting edge of huge consumer, tech & business shifts. In 2017, Ellevest was named one of Entrepreneur Magazines 100 Brilliant Ideas, & CNBC listed Ellevest as one of their Top 25 Most Promising Startups on a path to becoming tomorrows household names. We were also named one of Entrepreneur Magazines 100 Brilliant Ideas. We are working every day to make this a reality, & create a brand & a service that closes the female money gap.
Some Benefits of Working at Ellevest
- Flexible Schedule andVacation
- Beautiful Office in Flatiron
- Health, vision, & dental insurance
- Parental leave policy
- Retirement savings plan (401k)
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Note: Instead of a cover letter, we ask you to answer the three questions at the bottom of this application.