As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
The Director of Security will provide security advisory & training to the Vox Media team worldwide, & will develop & execute tailored risk mitigation strategies for online, digital media, & physical security. This role will report directly to the SVP of Editorial Networks. This position is remote friendly.
What youll do:
- Build out & manage a comprehensive corporate security function to maintain a safe physical & online workplace for all Vox Media employees & contractors
- Design, launch, & maintain crisis management & risk mitigation strategies & protocols, including those specific to online harassment, physical security, & threats to journalists
- Provide oversight, risk assessments, & consultancy for editorial activities, including in high-risk environments
- Develop & deploy robust security trainings for all employees & contractors, including journalists & digital media creators, that address situational awareness, active threats, online harassment, & safe journalistic practices in a digital media environment
- Develop & execute security plans for high-profile conferences & events
- Lead internal, cross-functional crisis management team
- Create & communicate up-to-date documentation necessary to assist Vox Media in a crisis, including contact sheets, security detail sheets, security policies & protocols, etc.
- Collaborate with internal teams such as Communications, Legal, Editorial, Info Tech & People & Culture to implement programs & execute on security protocols
- Foster & maintain professional network to assist in risk analysis & emergency response
- Manage corporate relationships with third-party providers, including crisis response teams, physical security/guard service providers, security & risk assessment consultants
- Partner with other digital media companies to assess industry risks & share best practices
What youll bring:
- A strong desire to work for Vox Media & alignment with Vox Medias Values
- Understanding of the journalism landscape & special risks posed to journalists
- An understanding of what modern online harassment looks like & how to mitigate its impacts.
- A self-starter who can organize collaborative initiatives across a matrixed company.
- Minimum 7 years relevant experience in corporate security, risk assessment, threat response & security training in a digital, media and/or journalistic environment
- Deep functional knowledge & extensive industry network, including relationships with third-party vendors & domestic & international security associations
- Advanced knowledge of relevant laws, regulations, & compliance requirements related to corporate security
- Excellent management, leadership, communication, & presentation skills
- Experience with leadership of crisis management teams
- Experience collaborating & building strong working relationships across corporate functions such as IT, Human Resources, Communications, Legal etc.
- Ability to travel to Vox Medias offices & other required locations, often on short notice, up to 20%
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.