The Specialist Department at 1stDibs is looking to expand its team of internal experts. As a Specialist, Jewelry & Watches on the Art + Design Research team, you will be part of a team hailing from some of the worlds premier galleries, auction houses, & museums. An ideal candidate is passionate about design, art, jewelry, & fashion history coupled with a strong knowledge of industry trends & the current market for vintage, antique, & contemporary pieces.
An ideal candidate is a strong communicator who has the ability to navigate delicate conversations with an international seller population. We are looking for a methodical thinker with the ability to compromise while delivering business first outcomes.
What youll do
- Consult on the supply strategy for the rapidly growing antique, vintage & contemporary jewelry marketplace
- Review all seller applications & leads to join the site using industry expertise, knowledge of seller reputation, & market trends, including writing & adapting seller leads review guidelines.
- Develop a deep understanding & familiarity of the jewelry supply, including consistent & ongoing review of sellers to ensure high marketplace standards are met
- Provide buyer assistance on post-sale questions & concerns while reviewing pieces to mitigate risk on high value transactions
- Be an educational resource by presenting on topics related to your area of expertise
- Work with the Manager of team on strategic & risk-based approaches to reviews & inventory guidelines for the jewelry category
- Advise & be a cross-functional partner on greater company initiatives, including but not limited to, product development, seller onboarding, marketing & merchandising campaigns, as well as providing insights & data for press requests
- Field & advise, as a public facing-presence, on questions from trade & VIP client sales team, seller community, & buyers, including by providing sourcing support to our internal sales teams for high potential clientele
- Research, develop, & present weekly, monthly, & as needed trends reporting for internal cross-functional groups, including but not limited to, weekly experts picks, monthly industry trends reports, insights to industry as needed for special projects, & others.
- Develop a network of external experts in the field to cover internal expertise gaps, e.g., watches
What youll bring
- 7-10+ years of professional experience working in the luxury jewelry sector.
- In-depth knowledge of best practices for cataloging luxury estate jewelry as well as trends & current practices of the jewelry industry as a whole, including a need to have your finger on the pulse of market happenings
- Experience with contemporary, trend, & demi-fine jewelry with ideas on how to expand the 1stDibs marketplace for these two categories
- Bachelors Degree in relevant studies, Masters preferred
- Strong research skills & the ability to conduct historical research for vintage & antique items
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills, & a demonstrated ability to form relationships with clients & peers
- Ability to work in a fast paced & ever-changing environment
- Preferred but not required - ISA, AAA certification, experience with jewelry appraising, gemological certification
- Familiarity with CRM platforms such as Salesforce
1stDibs is the worlds largest online luxury marketplace for rare & desirable objects. It has become the go-to source for the world's leading interior designers & consumers to find antiques, furniture, jewelry, vintage fashion & fine art.
Backed by Benchmark Capital, Insight Venture Partners, Index Ventures, Spark Capital & Alibaba, 1stDibs is a unique blend of expert curators & seasoned Internet executives from companies including eBay, Gilt, Google, FreshDirect, Mlb.com, Shutterfly, & Twitter.
1stDibs is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity & we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
1stDibs is actively hiring and, in response to COVID-19, conducting all interviews & onboarding virtually. Any new or current team members will be temporarily working remotely until our offices reopen, at which point all employees are expected & required to return physically to the New York office.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the hiring team following submission of your application.