As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform. Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
The Cut is the premier destination for women with stylish minds. No matter the subject, we address our readers lives head on, with generous wit, honesty, & power. Were in a dynamic conversation with women about the issues that matter to us most politics, intersectional feminism, work, money, relationships, mental health, sex, fashion, & issues relating to equality. Our stories are organized around four categories: Style, Self, Culture, & Power words that provide a framework for the myriad stories we tell.
We are hiring a Deputy Culture Editor to lead our entertainment & culture coverage. You should be pop culture-obsessed & deeply curious; tuned in & enthusiastic about film, TV, books, & art; & possess a keen appreciation for ambitious longform storytelling & an eye for new releases & talent. A sharp sense of humor is important, too. And above all, the ability to translate complex ideas into memorable features & packagespreferably someone dynamic, high-energy, & who loves challenges & starting conversations.
What you'll do:
- Manage a stable of freelancers while bringing in new voices on both digital & print
- Coordinate & direct swarm coverage around buzzy film & TV releases, as well as ongoing series coverage & long-lead projects this including watching & assigning screeners for coverage consideration & planning, as well as negotiating exclusives (including book excerpts from new titles)
- Pitch fresh ideas from profiles & portfolios, to set visits & feature packages, to thoughtful cultural criticism & humor pieces to the deputy editor & EIC on a daily basis
- Build & cultivate a network of publicist contacts with streaming & television networks & talent agencies
- Other responsibilities as assigned by your manager
What you'll bring:
- Minimum of 5-10 years of journalism experience, with a successful track record of editing & project-managing
- Bachelors degree in journalism or related field
- Enthusiasm for collaboration & working as a team
- Strong relationships with network of freelancers
- Familiarity editing longform writing
- Strong understanding & passion for the editorial sensibility of The Cut
- Experience responding to entertainment & culture news
- Ability to work independently & as part of a larger team
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Vox Media is dedicated to the health & wellbeing of all of our employees. All employees in our offices are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have an approved religious or medical exemption. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, including submitting to regular COVID-19 testing & wearing a face covering in our offices.
Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, & we will never contact you via text message.