IAC builds companies. We are guided by curiosity, a questioning of the status quo, & a desire to invent or acquire new products & brands. From the single seed that started as IAC over two decades ago have emerged 10 public companies & generations of exceptional leaders. We will always evolve, but our basic principle of financially-disciplined opportunism will never change. IAC today operates Vimeo, Dotdash, & Care.com, among many others, & also has majority ownership of ANGI Homeservices, which includes HomeAdvisor, Angie's List, & Handy. The company is headquartered in New York City & has business operations & satellite offices worldwide.
The Head of Government Relations will have strategic oversight of, & responsibility for, crafting & sustaining IAC's global public policy operations. The person will be responsible for the development & execution of government relations strategies & the day-to-day management of the government relations at the state, federal, & global levels. The role entails the management of a network of global government affairs consultants, advisors, industry associations, & external lobbyists & political operatives. This position reports to IAC's General Counsel & Secretary with frequent interaction with the IAC leadership team & will be based in Washington, DC, or NYC.
This role requires significant experience with government & regulatory agencies, political affairs, public policy, management, & industry affairs.
- Lead & develop internal government relations staff (at various IAC businesses)
- Hire & manage external lobbying team & work with internal & external communications team;
- Manage industry & trade association memberships;
- Implement a program to oversee IAC's political giving efforts;
- Supervise external policy communications;
- Build & maintain political & industry relationships; and
- Work seamlessly with the company's Legal Leadership Team.
- Bachelor's degree required; law degree preferred.
- Deep experience with the policymaking process in Washington, DC & state & local governments with a strong record of leading & delivering effective results;
- Proven management & leadership skills, including evidence of crafting & successfully executing significant public-policy campaigns;
- Outstanding judgment & critical thinking with the ability to assimilate various points of view in making strategic decisions about the direction of the company's overall government affairs programs;
- Effective public speaking & presentation skills;
- Extensive public affairs experience, ideally with Capitol Hill or equivalent experience in State Legislatures;
- Experience with electoral campaigns a plus;
- Experience integrating public policy with business strategy;
- Experience managing lawyers, lobbyists, & other political professionals;
- Excellent judgment & strategic decision-making skill; and
- High proficiency in writing, creative thinking, & multi-tasking
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS:
- Strong Executive Presence - Ability to interact effectively at the highest level of an organization & the savvy to communicate & synthesize complex issues crisply, clearly & convincingly;
- Highly Networked - A skilled internal & external relationship builder, with the ability to construct & maintain strong networks of policy influence within the industry & governing institutions;
- Collaborative - A team player who works across boundaries to establish a shared vision & achieve shared goals with flexibility, dedication; Ability to build relationships, trust, & rapport quickly;
- Commercially Adept - Possess an understanding of business strategy & commercial affairs, & an awareness of how policy debates translate into an impact on a global business;
- Strategic- Ability to focus on the big picture; and
- Diplomatic - Skilled in negotiating & navigating shifting coalitions with industry peers, within trade associations & other stakeholder groups