At Splice, Principal Engineers are responsible for developing the technical strategy that informs technical planning & allows their Product Group to achieve their objective. They have no management responsibilities. They actively contribute to the codebase, are stewards for technical excellence & represent the platform in technical decision making.
As part of our Growth team, youll play a critical role in helping us grow Splice effectively. We do this by building features, infrastructure, & experiments to maximize growth. Youll join a multicultural, inclusive & distributed team of engineers that will drive double-digit growth month-over-month.
This position reports to the VP of Engineering.
Were building a creative ecosystem for music producers. With this ecosystem, were cultivating a global community of creators that fosters inspiration, connection, focus, & growth.
Our work environment is no different. We champion collaboration, big ideas, helping where we can & asking for assistance when we need it. We aim for steady, measured expansion through experimentation & iteration. We encourage optimism, inclusion, & transparency in the workplace. We arent afraid to stumble, because every stumble can teach us something about our processes, strategies, & even ourselves.
What Youll Do:
As the Principal Engineer [on/of] the Growth Engineering team, you might find yourself:
- Partnering with the Growth Engineering Manager & Software Engineers to develop a cohesive technical strategy that unlocks growth for our company
- Using your knowledge of the web & API design to support the team as they build features with quantifiably high impact through prototyping & experimentation
- Participating in architectural reviews, & identifying projects that would benefit from architectural reviews
- Co-authoring RFCs to determine the expansion of our experimentation framework or an innovative way to scale our messaging system.
- Working throughout our stack with Go, Angular/TypeScript, & 3rd-party analytics software to build scalable, efficient experiments across our user journey
- Building infrastructure that enables us to understand our users journey end to end. (Its hard to optimize that which you do not understand.)
- Defining technical best practices to optimize Splices organic reach on search engines
- Providing technical mentorship to engineers across the organization
- Leading contributing to & developing the growth engineering practice at Splice
- Building tools that help teams outside of engineering scale
- Sharing with your teammates, whether its mentoring another engineer, posting something awesome you just learned or hosting a book club session.
- Collaborating with your peers in Engineering, Product Management, & Design to support product decisions & review future implementations
- Collaborating with other Principal Engineers to drive consistency across Splice
- Partnering with our SRE team to deploy highly reliable systems to production
- Researching & solving problems with code, without code, & sometimes by deleting code
- Offering office hours to engineers for discussing or pairing on tricky technical issues
- Participating in mindful code reviews to shape not just our code but also the way we think & talk about it
- Adjusting to the requirements of a rapidly growing team & doing your part to make sure every new hire has it easier than the last
- Contributing to our effective distributed team culture by communicating decisions & supporting all team members
- Increasing Splices profile in our industries both music & engineering through a combination of writing, public speaking, & other externally visible activities, & raising their teammates visibility in the process
Relevant experience & mindset:
- You share our vision
- Youre self-directed towards generating excellent work outcomes
You have a bias towards action & experimentation
- You care about quality. It drives you.
- You are comfortable, or even prefer working across technical stacks
- You get excited about data & using it to make technical decisions
- You communicate clearly & effectively with technical & non-technical audiences
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment
- You are comfortable both deploying & maintaining code
- You have 10+ years of relevant work experience in building & maintaining production quality software
- You have 2+ years of experience working in a Growth team
- Experience working in or with distributed teams
- You have leadership experience in a Growth team
How Well Handle Your Application:
We know that applying for a job can be stressful, & the amount of time it takes varies wildly from company to company. So, were sharing with you up front how a typical application proceeds through the interview process for this role.
First, we try our best to get a response to all applicants within a week of receiving their application, whether they are selected for interviews or not.
If your application is selected to proceed through our interview process, you may:
- Meet with a Technical Recruiter for a brief, 30-minute video chat. Theyll get a sense of what youre looking for & answer any questions you might have about the role.
- Meet with our VP of Engineering to discuss your experience & the open role
- Complete a take-home exercise at your own pace within a 1-week window from when you receive the exercise. A working solution should be manageable with around 4 hours of dedicated effort or less.
- Have your anonymized exercise reviewed by Splice engineers & evaluated according to a rubric.
- Meet with one of Splices Principal Engineers & one of our Growth Engineers for an hour to chat with you about your submission, your work experience, & answer any questions you may have.
- Meet with the Growth Group PM & Growth Engineering Manager for 60 minutes
Thats it! After each step, the hiring manager will use the feedback from our panel to determine who progresses to the next step. The whole process can be completed in as little as two weeks, depending on your availability, the applicant pool size & when applications close.