Communication has changed for people. Its changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycleacross acquisition, engagement, & support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, & so much more.
What's the opportunity?
You might call yourself a content strategist, UX writer, information architect, UX designer, or other titles. Regardless, youll do meaningful product content design work at a fast-growing & highly admired product-driven company with a deep, demonstrated love for products & their content that's driving real change in the industry.
Each content designer at Intercom works on just one single product team as an equal partner to a product manager, an engineering manager, a product designer, a group of engineers, & other roles. Together, they own a part of Intercom, ship solutions to challenging problems, & get feedback directly from customers.
At Intercom, content design is part of Intercoms product design team (learn about us at intercom.design). So just like product designers, our content designers work deeply on just one product at a timeso were not split across 5-10 or more products like at other places. And we have almost exactly the same expectations & career paths for content designers as we do for product designers (see them here), which makes these two roles equal partners.
Take it all together & this means youll find yourself doing things like:
- Mapping out how products work together, refining concepts & definitions in our system
- Crafting outstanding user interface copy that helps our customers succeed in their goals
- Working as part of a team to create content design standards, frameworks, & a style guide to help us scale
In short: content design opportunities dont get better than this. At other places, youd have to start out by justifying your existence & begging for a seat at the table. Here, we know what you do & we already value itthat helps you focus on doing work thats meaningful, valuable, & rewarded.
At Intercom, we've had designers in key leadership rolesincluding at the exec levelfrom the very beginning. So design has always been at the core of our company's DNA.
We genuinely care about people & value kindness in our everyday interactions. You'll be able to be yourself, feel valued, supported, learn & grow no matter how experienced you are.
If you want to learn more about what it's like to work here, listen to this podcast with our content design team manager, check out intercom.design, learn what makes us different, & watch a keynote from our CEO talking about our mission, vision, & the next chapter of Intercom.
Finally, if youre feeling unsure about applying? Wed still love to talk with you.
What will you be doing?
- Get great content design work shipped quickly
- Work end to end: translate customer problems into high-level solutions, design workflows, detailed interactions, & visual designs
- Practice first principles thinking to help shape the problem to be solved
- Explore & refine concepts & narrow to the best solution quickly without losing effort
- Create simple, elegant solutions to complex content & information architecture problems
- Iterate based on research findings & feedback from your team
- Work closely with engineers as they build & ship solutions
- Refine & improve the long-term direction of how your product area evolves
- Represent Intercom publicly in whatever form feels natural to you: writing, speaking, tweeting, etc.
- Be a leader, setting examples for other designers & product people & teaching them what you know
What experience & skills do you need?
- Experience designing content for digital products, not just websites or documents
- An appreciation of the entire product development process, from problem solving through to detailed information architecture & content design
- The ability to design systems, not just write words
- The ability to create high-fidelity mockups of your content using Figma, Sketch, etc.
- Excellent communicator of content design work, IA, & your rationale behind proposals
- Excellent self-starter who can deeply collaborate with others
- A growth mindset. Willingness to own problems. Comfort with ambiguity. A healthy balance of humility & confidence.
What about relocation?
- The role is based in Dublin, Ireland, which is our first & largest office. Most of our product teams & leaders are located here, so you'll be able to collaborate with them closely.
- If you're not living in Ireland, we'll offer generous relocation assistance for you, your family, & your pets. Most of our designers have relocated here & have come from all over the world.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If theres something important to you thats not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary & equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch & dinner every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods & a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health & dental insurance for you & your dependents
- Open vacation policy & flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym & other sports activities up to 90 quarterly
- If youre cycling, weve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but were happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people & we want to continue to attract & retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive & diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.