About the Role
CQ Legal, which covers state & federal regulation in the courts & regulatory agencies, is searching for a reporter who can write knowledgably about securities markets & regulation. The position will require the reporter to maintain a detailed understanding of the agencies, congressional committees & major players to break news daily. This role also offers the opportunity to produce in-depth pieces of interest to customers around the world, & long-form magazine narratives for a sophisticated audience. Your expertise may also be utilized for podcast / new media formats.
- Track regulatory developments & break news to keep subscribers informed
- Be ready to write on a variety of securities issues
- Demonstrate expertise about Congress, the White House, federal agencies & politics
- Develop sources & contacts that can be relied upon
- Connect the CQ Legal audience with developments in federal, state & local government
- Inform your reporting with data by analyzing data sets to determine trends
- 2+ years of journalism experience covering regulation & or Washington issues, a focus on business, particularly financial, issues are a plus
- Demonstrated understanding of the federal budget & appropriations process
- Experience covering financial technology (fintech) issues a plus
- Proven ability in covering policy-making through the lens of state legislatures, Congress or government agencies
- Computer-assisted reporting skills including use of databases, Excel & other programs & tools
- A track record of producing unique scoops & compelling features
- Strong written & verbal communication abilities
- Exceptional time management & organizational skills
- A desire to work in a fast-paced, competitive environment
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
You are a self-motivated professional with the drive to succeed. You're a team player who pitches in wherever necessary to support your team, the company & its clients, & readers interested in public policy.
About CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis & legislative tracking. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House & Senate floor, committees & hearing rooms. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics & personalities of Capitol Hill. Our journalists & analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate & how the process affects your interests. We have print, digital & multimedia products as well as topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, committee & floor votes. Our journalists have won the Dirksen Award for Distinguished Reporting on Congress & honors from the White House News Photographers Association & National Press Club.
FiscalNote is the leading Issues Management platform. Our mission is to build the world's most powerful platform for analyzing government risk & opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan & execute their organization's government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate & relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, & ease of use. Our fierce curiosity & insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, & retirement accounts to ensure we're all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy & vacation expense contribution help us ensure you're getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, & dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities & creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights & responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify