As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Vox Media is looking for an experienced attorney to join the legal team to assist with talent agreements & pre-publication review. The ideal candidate will bring superior drafting & negotiation skills, as well as a passion for supporting Vox Medias quality content.
What youll do
- Negotiate, draft & review talent agreements across Vox Media's platforms & properties, including Vox Medias editorial networks, Vox Media Podcast Network, & Vox Creative (Vox Medias in-house advertising brand studio). Such talent agreements will vary & may include prominent journalists, hosts (on-camera, podcast, social media channels), voiceover artists, influencers, conference panelists and/or moderators, social media takeover participants and/or other special guest contributors.
- Negotiate, draft & review miscellaneous agreements (including various types of releases & freelance/independent contractor agreements) related to the creation of content, including text, audio & video content.
- Conduct pre-publication review of content for sensitive storytelling in various formats, including text, audio, & video.
- Negotiate, draft & review appearance releases for participants & attendees of editorial events & conferences.
- Conduct review of Vox Creative content for advertising disclosures.
What youll bring:
- 5+ years of relevant legal and/or business affairs experience in media, digital media, entertainment industry(ies)
- 2+ years of In-house experience at a studio, network, publishing or media company and/or experience at an entertainment law firm or department advising media and/or entertainment companies and/or individual talent clients on a variety of legal issues, transactions & contracts.
- A law degree from an ABA-accredited law school is required & must be a member in good standing of at least one state bar.
- Experience with prepublication review of sensitive storytelling in various formats.
- Experience negotiating & drafting talent agreements across varied media & formats.
- Experience negotiating & drafting content creation agreements across varied media & formats.
- In-depth knowledge of defamation & First Amendment Law, copyrights & line-drawing between editorial & commercial content.
- Excellent drafting, negotiating, problem solving, & communications skills.
- Ability to multi-task & to work both independently & as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to formulate creative solutions to accomplish business objectives.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong work ethic.
- Collaborative team player.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.