ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
The VP of Strategy & Operations is a critical role in the continued growth of theSkimm. Reporting into the President, this role will ensure theSkimm creates a vision & strategy that continues to push it into the phase of its growth. Additionally, & importantly, the VP of Strategy & Operations will also ensure that the company is functioning optimally to achieve that vision & associated goals.
This is a key leadership role that will work closely with the entire leadership & executive layer here at theSkimm. Teamwork is essential & you will find a group of talented & collaborative people.
If you are strategic, highly organized, goal-orientated & are excited about having a real impact on a companys future, this job might just be for you.
WHAT YOULL BE DOING
- Identify & monitor the key market & competitive trends
- Drive highly visible strategic projects, working cross-functionally to structure problems, analyze opportunities, & develop solutions & actionable recommendations & results through a rigorous, data-driven process
- Oversee & lead the scoping of high priority, complex, executive sponsored projects end-to-end & secure stakeholder & working team engagement & alignment up front.
- Outline business opportunity, rationale, & execution plans to achieve the vision for the opportunity including product, GTM strategies, & business model (reviewing & leading the team through the business scorecard processIdentify & evaluate business expansion opportunities, alternative business models, & non-traditional growth opportunities. This may include identifying new customer segments, markets, products, or partnerships to drive long term, sustainable growth.
- Provide support to President & CFO on annual strategic planning process
- Implement efficient & effective processes to drive annual & quarterly planning & to develop our annual, 3-year & 5-year strategic plans to grow the business
- Work closely with the VP of Finance on the creation of the quarterly board deck
- Lead the OKR process, working closely with the VP of Finance, building business-wide OKRs as well as Sub-KRs at the team level that ladder up to the business OKRs.
- Working with department heads, monitor & ensure OKRs are being met & problem-solve where necessary.
- Manage leadership team meeting, reporting mechanisms & forums, driving the operational cadence for the group, ensuring key takeaways keep momentum & are followed through on
- Work closely with all teams to understand breakage points & bottlenecks in day-to-day work & continuously problem solve through process improvements & ad-hoc blocking & tackling (where & when it makes sense)
- Work closely with the data team to monitor key performance metrics & partner with leadership to ensure we are on track to hit our targets. Proactively raise risks to achieving our quarterly & annual targets, roadmaps & facilitate stakeholder discussions to develop a new plans
- Act as the key operator responsible for overseeing the operations & processes for new initiative highly cross-functional teams & squads
- Manage the planning & project retrospective (scorecard & post-mortems) process across the organisation, working closely with department heads
- Ensure & monitor execution of strategic planning process once it enters execution phase
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
- 10+ years of total experience
- 5+ years experience in consulting or operations
- Experience in a consumer-focused (DTC) or media company
- Experience in a planning capacity (EG Project planning)
- Experience in a strategy department or strategic role
- Proven track record of process & operational improvements
- Extremely well organized
- Very quantitative in approach & able to blend that with forward-thinking & business acumen
- Strong understanding of OKRs & the OKR process (Experience in running or being heavily involved in a company OKR process is a plus)
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping millennial women live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than 12 million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.