ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is looking for a Director of Editorial Operations to be responsible for managing content operations & supervising short & long term content planning. This role will support a group of talented journalists & content creators to do what they do best in a more effective & scalable way. This role is the right-hand to & will report into the SVP, Content.
WHAT YOULL BE DOING
- Lead support in planning, organizing, & production of content throughout the organization
- Manage editorial calendars & editorial strategy planning & their respective processes
- Own & project manage editorial initiatives from ideation to execution in order to improve editorial operations across the company
- Represent editorial as the subject matter expert & key stakeholder in cross-functional meetings with product, sales, tech, design, operations, & marketing
- Assist SVP, Content in day-to-day operations of the editorial team, including resource allocation & budget planning process
- Oversee publishing schedule for theSkimm.com
- Oversee talent booking process
- Manage content team trainings, ensuring adherence to journalistic standards, voice etc.
- Work with the content analyst to set success metrics around content performance & to communicate goals & trends to the editorial team.
- Manage content-team training calendar to ensure all new content hires are properly trained on current editorial voice & operations
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
- 5-10 years of digital newsroom experience, with 3 of those in an operational role managing similar sizeable publication required
- Experience project managing editorial initiatives
- Experience with short & long-term editorial planning is required
- Proven Expertise & knowledge in latest digital trends, technology & best practices for editorial, commerce content, & SEO
- Proven Expertise with content analytics
- Highly organized, extremely detail-oriented, & able to effectively prioritize workload in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to self-motivate & be a team player across multiple departments
- Excellent verbal & written skills
- Proficient in Wordpress & Asana a plus
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent work experience preferred
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.