SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (STARLINK)
Want to build the next era of the Internet? Want to write code that ships to thousands of satellites in space? Want to develop the infrastructure necessary to bring high speed broadband to every corner of the world?
The Starlink software team is solving challenges underpinning every aspect of SpaceXs satellite internet project, & were looking for engineers to join us in building:
- Next generation networking technologies to direct data through an ever changing network of satellites, ground stations, & users.
- Firmware & controls software running on custom hardware that flies the worlds largest fleet of spacecraft.
- Infrastructure & tools to enable rapid development & reliable deployment of our code to dynamic production environments.
Our software engineers are responsible for the complete lifecycle of the software they create, including development, testing, & support.
- Develop highly reliable & available software systems for our low latency, high capacity satellite-based global software defined network.
- Design & implement highly available, fault-tolerant network that operates for long periods of time with minimal maintenance at scale.
- Participate in architecture, design, & code reviews.
- Develop prototypes to prove out key design concepts & quantify technical constraints.
- Collaborate with other engineers to plan & organize the development of our products.
There are several sub-teams within Starlink software with different focus areas. Applicants will interview for specific teams based on hiring needs & qualifications. Specific team responsibilities might include:
- Write high quality Linux based software for common processors & microcontrollers (e.g. ARM, PowerPC, x86, etc.)
- Invent new tools that enable more frequent & reliable software deployment, test execution, & data analysis as part of a continuous integration & release system.
- Develop tools that allow for test execution across multiple environments: virtualized hardware, real hardware-in-the-loop simulations, & on-orbit testing.
- Bachelors degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline OR 2+ years of experience in software development.
- Development experience in C, C++, python, or mobile development languages.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Developed, debugged & deployed software that has been used in real world applications/projects.
- Creative approach to problem solving, exceptional analytical skills & engineering fundamentals.
- Solid fundamental knowledge of networks, electronics, math, & physics.
- Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization, & unit testing.
- Excellent communication skills both written & verbal.
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment with changing needs & requirements.
Some preferred skills & experience depend on the specific team within Starlink software, & may include:
- Experience with networking protocols (UDP, TCP/IP, etc.)
- Experience in C++ for high performance systems.
- Experience with security issues associated with distributed systems & internet services.
- Deep understanding of testing, continuous integration, build, deployment & continuous monitoring.
- Must be able to work extended hours & weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence & qualifications & will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans & individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.