Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions & consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Over 1,000 clientsincluding more than 50% of the Fortune 100choose Foursquare.
Foursquares toolkit includes Placed powered by Foursquare, Audiences powered by Factual & Proximity powered by Factual, Analytics Solutions, Places, Pilgrim SDK & Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to measure foot traffic lift via multi-touch attribution; deliver proximity-based advertising; analyze & identify trends; drive deeper engagement via Foursquares industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 200,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Twitter & Uber; & optimize advertising campaigns across hundreds of audiences. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map & models fresh & up-to-date.
Foursquare has more than 350+ employees based in New York headquarters with offices in Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago & Singapore. In 2019 Foursquare acquired Placed from Snap, & then in 2020 merged with Factual. Foursquare is proud to be funded by The Raine Group, Simon Ventures, Naver, Union Square Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, DFJ Growth, Morgan Stanley Alternative Investment Partners & more.
About the Team
The Developer & Consumer team is responsible for the Foursquare technology that people outside of the company interact with to build & consume location in exciting & engaging ways. That spans from the Places API & Pilgrim SDK to our apps Foursquare City Guide, Swarm & Panel app. We spend time building features & products that give developers the tools to make location an integral part of their own applications & provide compelling user experiences centered around location to users of our apps. The Developer & Consumer team is a high impact team & a core piece of the Foursquare business with direct impact on the broader company success.
About the role
This role utilizes a strong background in distributed systems to help build the core online & offline platforms that drive the data services for our Developer & Consumer-facing products. We want you to be comfortable running with your own ideas, ready to drive team innovation & eager to learn new skills on a bleeding edge platform. We use a variety of tools, technologies, & languages to build software (e.g., Scala, Hadoop, Kafka, Python, Thrift, Spark, Luigi, EMR, Databricks, MongoDB, Memcached, Redis, Chef, Aurora, Mesos, Pants), but experience with equivalent ones will do just fine. We are currently looking for a Senior Data Platform Engineer or Staff Data Platform Engineer depending on your experience.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Own, maintain & modernize all aspects of the Developer & Consumer teams online & offline data systems
- Develop & maintain Foursquare's event streaming platform & applications for data ingestion
- Build cost-effective & seamless applications to run across Amazon EMR
- Collaborate with engineering teams on implementing & deploying large scale data processing applications.
- Lead cross-team coordination & mentor other engineers on the team.
- 8-10 years of software engineering, 5 years of Big Data engineering, & tech lead experience
- Experience building & maintaining event streaming platforms ( Kafka, Spark, Security, Producer & consumer APIs)
- Expert knowledge of Big Data & AWS concepts ( Hdfs, Yarn, Hive, S3, EC2, EMR)
- Experience working in a fast-paced programming environment with hands on experience in continuous deployment & agile methodologies
- Experience in building & supporting data systems used by other Engineering teams
Nice to have:
- Experience with the Luigi scheduler is a plus
- Experience in Scala is a plus
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.