Hi, we're Oscar. Were hiring a Data Scientist to join our Data team in our New York office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
About the Role:
Insurance companies sit on a trove of data that is both broad & deep, including financial claims, clinical medical records, & rich product interaction data from our members. Oscar's Data team connects the dots across these datasets to give us unique insight into how the healthcare system functions & allows us to improve care coordination, better manage risk, build higher-performing provider networks, & create a standout consumer experience in our product.
On the data team, we collaborate with people across the organization -- from engineers & product managers to operations teams to doctors to actuaries -- to make sure our whole business is as intelligent & data-driven as possible.
Youll help improve the caliber & efficiency of the medical care our members receive by working with our value capture, population health, & clinical teams. Your responsibilities will include:
- Building out master datasets to enable key clinical quality initiatives, & forecasting our performance in those areas
- Working with our population health team to target the members who will best benefit from their work
- Identify & quantify opportunities for us to shift our members toward more valuable care (e.g., by identifying high quality physicians)
- You have 2+ years of relevant work experience or a Masters degree in a quantitative field
- You can use data science tools like SQL & Python
- Youre excited about being (or becoming) a decision-maker, not just an analyst
- You know when to look outside the data to help answer questions
- You see data science as a powerful tool to get things done rather than as an end in itself
- Knowledge of health care, health economics, or health insurance is a bonus but not required
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we work to cultivate an environment where exceptional people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change healthcare -- an experience made whole by your unique background & perspectives.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy: Oscar's Pay Transparency Policy ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.