The Intercept seeks a creative, seasoned Producer to join our podcast team. As a lead producer for The Intercept you will work with an exciting slate of podcasts including Intercepted, Deconstructed, as well as special narrative & investigative series. As a lead producer you will work closely with show hosts, the production team, the supervising producer & executive producers of The Intercepts shows. You will also work closely with journalists across The Intercepts newsroom to develop original ideas for episodes. The ideal candidate should be an experienced producer, a gifted writer & audio storyteller, & have a strong grasp of U.S. politics & Congress. Prior experience with narrative, investigative podcasts preferred.
This position reports to the Supervising Producer, The Intercept Podcasts.
In your cover letter, please tell us what you think about our current podcasts, & include ideas for new podcasts & areas of coverage.
- Regularly monitor news & generate show ideas for weekly editorial meetings.
- Attend weekly editorial & podcast production meetings, pitching story/topic/guest ideas.
- Work closely with production team to support & advise on existing shows.
- Lead & oversee production on a narrative-driven show.
- Research, report, write, & develop episodes, in collaboration with host(s) & production team.
- Report in the field when needed & support reporters in the field.
- Seek out creative use of audio in the field & in production.
- Build episodes in Pro Tools to handoff to engineer for final mixing.
- Exercise editorial judgment in story structure, arc, flow, subjects, & length.
- Support the fact-checking process.
- Work closely with host(s) & production team compiling feedback & supporting quality control processes.
- Work with the art team to develop key episode art.
- Develop show copy in collaboration with host & production team.
- Upload shows to distribution site & update website posts.
- Other appropriately related projects/duties as assigned
Background & Qualifications:
- At least 4 years of experience producing radio and/or podcasts of a journalistic nature, with a track record of cultivating compelling voices & engaging content.
- Interest & fluency in The Intercepts areas of coverage, including war, surveillance, corruption, criminal justice, politics, history, & global affairs.
- Seasoned audio editor, fluent in Pro Tools or similar software.
- Technical understanding of audio recording equipment.
- Deep skills in script writing, host prep & direction, & podcast producing generally.
- Sharp eye for talent & good stories.
- Commitment to bringing a diversity of voices & underrepresented groups to air.
- Excellent news judgment & keen understanding of the news media landscape.
- Ability to work well both on teams & independently, & receive constructive feedback.
- Strong project management & organizational skills.
- Excellent written & oral communication skills; maturity in dealing with talent, upper management, & business partners.
- Ability to work efficiently on deadline; adaptability to varying workflows & editorial demands.
- Creative idea-generator, with ability to come up with unique angles on important issues.
This position is recognized as part of the Writers Guild of America, East, Union."
About The Intercept
The Intercept is an award-winning news organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable through fearless, adversarial journalism. Its in-depth investigations & unflinching analysis focus on politics, war, surveillance, corruption, the environment, technology, criminal justice, the media, & more. The Intercept gives its journalists the editorial freedom & legal support they need to expose corruption & injustice wherever they find it.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism & documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder & philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture & a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Field of Vision, & the recently launched Topic SVOD service, & plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats & platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators & audiences develop, distribute, discover & connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.