As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Vox Media is seeking an Editorial Director, Verge Podcasts to lead podcasting for its leading consumer technology news network. Youll bring new focus, fresh ideas, & big ambitions to our podcasts.
Starting with our flagship show The Vergecast, youll examine our current slate of programming & work with our hosts to adapt those shows for the future. From there, you will direct & oversee the development, production, & strategy of a revamped interview show hosted by The Verges Editor in Chief, Nilay Patel. You should identify what makes a Verge show a must-listen, develop the right formats, & execute on new creative strategies.
The ideal candidate is passionate about technology, with the expertise required to provide editorial ideas & constructive notes on technology stories. Looking at the current tech podcasting landscape, what is missing that only The Verge can provide?
You should bring an innovative & entrepreneurial growth mindset; youll start with a small team, execute at a high level, prove creative & audience success, & then pitch new formats, shows, & opportunities.
What you'll do:
- Bring strong editorial, creative, & management leadership to The Verges podcasting efforts, with the goal of building an ambitious & successful slate of programming.
- Successfully launch a Verge interview show, directing editorial & production, & proving creative & audience success.
- Successfully relaunch The Vergecast, identifying where it has opportunities to evolve & grow, & executing on those ideas.
- Develop new shows using Verge talent, IP, or audience, including a spin-off Vergecast property.
- Direct a supervising producer & audio engineer, regularly engage & work with freelancers, & grow the team to the needs of our podcasting business.
- Generate pitches, book diverse guests, & lead questions & scripting as needed; with producer, oversee all stages of production.
- Facilitate regular evaluation & feedback of shows creative strengths & growth success.
- Establish a culture of experimentation & lead evolution of show formats over time.
- Collaborate with Verge journalists, show hosts, & talent & help them develop their on-air skills.
- Oversee promotions & growth strategies for podcasts, working with The Verges social media managers & Vox Media Podcast Network marketing manager.
- Set goals for audience growth in conjunction with senior leaders.
What you'll bring:
- Expertise in technology journalism & storytelling, & a passion for the tech news & reporting that are core to The Verge.
- Experience as the showrunner or editorial lead for a successful technology podcast or broadcast news program.
- Background in newsroom management, or as the leader of a team.
- A track record of developing content that draws on diverse perspectives/source lists.
- Strong leadership skills, as well as the ability to delegate & prioritize effectively.
- Strong management skills & the ability to help employees grow & thrive in their work.
- A commitment to developing The Verges unique sound & voice in podcasting, & a determination to create podcasts that are different from anything else out there.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.