Role: Underwriting & Customer Support Project Lead
Location: Austin, TX
Reports To: Senior Director of Underwriting & Customer Support
Hippo is a VC-funded startup headquartered in Palo Alto, California, with Insurance Headquarters in Austin, Texas. Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using AI, aerial imagery, smart home devices, & beautiful UI/UX, we strive to provide clients with nothing less than the best coverage, best value & best customer service in the industry. This approach is clearly resonating with homeowners.
Hippo has grown 25% a month, has a customer satisfaction score more than double the industry average & insures more than $90B in property value.Were looking for the very best talent in the world to help us continue to find new ways of fundamentally redefining the role insurance plays in peoples lives.
About This Role
We are seeking a Underwriting & Customer Support Project Leadwho will work closely with our Senior Director of Underwriting & Customer Support to help drive our business goals. This will be a point person on our team who makes sure everyone has the proper resources, information, & analytics to achieve objectives. We want this person to identify & come up with solutions to obstacles that hinder performance, then ensure those strategies are implemented & reported on. The main goal will be for this person to build strong cross-functional partnerships with our leaders & team members in order to drive process improvements.
You spent some time in management consulting & are comfortable driving strategy & operations. Youre well versed in property insurance & have a solid understanding of how home insurance works for underwriting, claims, & service. You wake up thinking of ways to improve processes & have a knack for gaining buy in from both senior leadership & team members. Youre excited to work in a start-up where youll be able to create order out of chaos & have a significant impact on our overall business strategy.
- Manage, coach & mentor our expanding group of operations professionals supporting our underwriting & customer support efforts
- Implement best practices in the areas of quoting, customer support & underwriting.
- Serve as a technical or business resource for business setting priorities, business requirements & identifying appropriate resources.
- Work together with our technology team to improve our technology work flow & technology systems
- Navigates & directs teams to effective outcomes across functional & organizational lines. Strong operations management skills, including project & program management, process analysis & design.
- Able to reconcile & resolve multiple & conflicting data to drive effective operational & business decisions.
- Can articulate & support conclusions based on hard data & analysis. Able to negotiate mutually beneficial solutions both internally & externally. Comfortable & adept in communicating with both technical & non-technical stakeholders.
- Demonstrates maturity, confidence, & ability to lead & manage change in a dynamic environment. Comfortable working in both collaborative & challenging circumstances & uses appropriate techniques in each.
- Thrives on reconciling multiple, competing issues & priorities. Able to maintain focus & accountability in ambiguous situations.
- Thinks strategically; executes tactically while maintaining consistency of action & integrity of outcomes across operations functions.
- Effectively establishes consistency in execution across multiple teams
- Help lead standardization efforts;
- Provide documentation to the Training department to improve how users are interacting with applications;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in business preferred
- 5-7 years of experience in middle to back operations at insurance/reinsurance companies or in a consulting company
- This role will require an in-depth knowledge of how home insurance works for underwriting, claims & service. So, prior Property Insurance experience is a must.
- Proven Process Management, Project Management & Operational improvement experience is needed
- Excellent analytical skills
- Knowledge of Excel, SQL & ability to generate ad hoc reporting will be needed
- Strong verbal & written communications skills
- Self-motivated & directed; ability to collaborate is a must, but you will be autonomous & expected to succeed without heavy direction
- Strong intellectual curiosity & a desire to help others solve problems
- Flexible & willing to do what is needed to get great work done
- A natural inclination to work within a culture that is fast-paced & dynamic
Compensation & Perks
- Fun offices located in Austin, TX
- Fully stocked kitchen & catered lunch on Fridays
- Paid time off
- Full time salary based on experience & equity in a fast-growing startup
- Competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, STD, LTD, & flexible spending accounts
- Fun, start-up environment -- casual dress, events, etc.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, & we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity & inclusion.
Hippos applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippos People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.