At Lyft, our mission is to improve peoples lives with the worlds best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, & diverse organization.
The Test Platforms team owns mission critical platforms at Lyft that ensure that Lyft systems & architecture can handle the load of customer demand during peak events like New Years Eve, as well as catching defects in code before they reach production. These goals are achieved through building & supporting the fundamental test infrastructure & platforms for orchestrating & generating simulated traffic, through a large-scale ride simulator & an end-to-end testing framework.
As the Engineering Manager supporting the Test Platforms team you will use your technical experience to lead a team of engineers in pushing the boundaries of test tooling excellence. You will lead a team that is inclusive, helpful, & has a strong sense of ownership for the things they build. The team looks to their manager for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, & honest feedback. The team moves fast while supporting a broad spectrum of developers & use cases, & relies on their leadership to build relationships across the company & ensure they are delivering what Lyft needs at the right time.
- Lead a team of talented engineers who like to ship code & tackle hard engineering problems around testing & reliability of large scale distributed systems
- Work with engineers & managers across Lyft to build relationships with other teams. Use their feedback & understand their goals to build & prioritize a roadmap for your org
- Educate engineering on best practices for ensuring service owners catch defects before they make it to production, & guarantee services can scale to handle peak events before they happen
- Encourage & enforce the right behaviors to ensure we continue to ship quickly without compromising production stability
- Create & evolve sustainable processes & tools for operations through automation, self-service & reducing complexity
- Mentor & guide the professional & technical development of your team members; help develop their careers & assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, & professional goals
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, & respectful of each other
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, & recognize the individual strengths & contributions of your team members
- Create plans for prioritizing technical & resourcing challenges in your organization
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the teams code, architecture, & processes
- Work closely with the Lyft recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse background
- You have a technical background & familiarity with large-scale distributed systems, different forms of automated testing, & Site Reliability Engineering concepts & practices
- Experience with Python and/or Go preferred, as those are the teams core languages
- You have experience guiding teams through planning, prioritization, & execution of work
- You have experience leading engineers at all levels, & youre skilled at guiding them through their career development
- You are steadfastly focused on your customers, & preferably have experience working with engineers as customers
- You believe in building both teams & products that scale; actively work on reducing technical debt & all operational issues are root caused
- You have a strong focus on metrics & know how to measure the health of engineering teams
- You enjoy working in a collaborative environment, & youre committed to creatively driving projects to completion
- You can motivate & instill a strong sense of ownership in your team
- You think ahead & build for the futur
- Great medical, dental, & vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, & foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive & diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state & local law.