Here at BARK, we love dogs & their people. Were looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (were not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs & their people through our products, events, & experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, & our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats & clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys & treats to the dogs across the world & use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives & ways to make magic between dogs & their people. Weve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member.
The Sourcing team helps to take our unique designs & transform them into products to sell to our customers with the help of our third-party manufacturing partners. Internally, we partner closely with the Design & Supply Chain teams in order to give dogs & their people the best experience possible. If you couldn't tell already, we're dog & customer - obsessed - we pay close attention to cost & quality, are highly flexible & entrepreneurial, & collaborative to a fault.
WHO WERE SNIFFIN' FOR
If palatability is in your vocabulary & you are obsessed about creating the best food & eating experiences for dogs, then we want to talk to you! The BARK team is looking for a highly driven self-starter as Product Development Scientist. Reporting to the Director or Manager of Product Development, this role will work closely with our Concierge, Marketing, Sourcing, Operations, & external scientific partners to create food & treat products for dogs. We are just getting started, so if you enjoy building things from the ground up & have pet food experience, this is a great opportunity!
- Develop new products from concept through commercialization, ensuring all technical deliverables are met.
- Partner with sourcing to collaborate with suppliers on new product development.
- Create & ensure adherence to product specifications.
- Lead supplier improvement on process & delivery of key product attributes.
- Lead formulation optimization on cost, performance, or testing plans (analytical, kennel, consumer).
- Partner with data analytics to identify internal customer insights & combine with external trends, data, etc. to generate technical insights for new products.
- Help coordinate & participate in the development of effective & accurate nutritional claims, labeling, advertising, & promotional materials.
- 2+ years of experience in product development or R&D in the pet food industry.
- Experience in product formulation to meet pet nutrition needs.
- Experience in leading projects throughout the whole product development process from R&D, prototyping, production, QA to logistics, & fulfillment.
- Experience in a high volume manufacturing environment, preferably in the Consumer Packaged Goods Industry.
- Experience working directly with contract manufacturers, material vendors, & new technologies.
- Solid understanding of food industry standards for quality & regulatory.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- B.S. degree in Food Science/Food Chemistry & Animal Nutrition, advanced degree a plus.
- Strong technical knowledge to solve complex problems & review related information to develop & evaluate options & implement suitable solutions.
- Confident & independent worker with great communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment through excellent interpersonal, influencing & communication skills.
- Ability to excel in a dynamic fast paced business environment, demonstrated ability to self-motivate & manage multiple priorities.
- MUST Love Dogs!
This position is a full-time, salaried position, open to remote candidates. Ideally based out of our NY headquarters or Columbus, OH fulfillment facility, but for the right candidates working remotely is also an option. We offer health insurance for both you & your pup, 401k, & a dog to pet anytime you wish.
Please Note: BARK requires all employees or guests entering our space to provide proof of up to date covid-19 vaccinations. Exemption and/or accommodation requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
FOR CO/NJ/NY BASED APPLICANTS:
- The base salary range for this position is $73,500- $100,000
- This position is eligible for equity
**This compensation range is based on BARKs good faith estimate as of the date of this posting & may be modified in the future. Actual pay for this position will depend on a variety of variables including location, travel, internal equity, experience, education, skills & expertise.