Cheddar is the leading post-cable news, media, & entertainment company & currently broadcasts two live video news networks: Cheddar, a business news network covering the most innovative executives, founders, products, & technologies transforming our lives & economy; & Cheddar Big News, a fast-paced, young, non-partisan general news & headline news network.
The company broadcasts from the trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange, its street level studio in the glass corner of the Sprint Store in the Flatiron Building, WeWork in Los Angeles, & the White House.
Cheddar was founded by Jon Steinberg, President & Chief Operating Officer of BuzzFeed from 2010 to 2014. Its investors include Lightspeed Venture Partners, Raine Ventures, Goldman Sachs, Liberty Global, Comcast Ventures, AT&T, Amazon, Antenna Group, Ribbit Capital, The New York Stock Exchange, Altice USA, 7 Global Capital, & Denstu Ventures.
About This Role:
Cheddar is looking for enterprising, creative reporters who can break exclusive news on the most competitive beats in tech & business.
These desired areas of coverage include (but are not limited to) companies reshaping the future of transportation, the business of marijuana, gaming & esports industries, & the future of retail & e-commerce. The ability to cover these areas through the lens of their dominant players whether it be Amazons reshaping of the retail sector or Teslas impact on other car makers is a must.
The ideal candidate has a proven track record of breaking original stories & providing smart analysis that will be relevant to Cheddars hyper-curious, business-savvy audience. This person has excellent news judgement & knows how to find unique approaches to covering a crowded beat.
This role requires someone who can be equally comfortable with writing & appearing on camera. Exclusive stories should be impactful enough to command the attention of other news organizations. The ideal candidate will already know how to develop sources on a beat & can demonstrate a thorough understanding of best journalistic practices & ethics.
- Deliver a reliable stream of exclusive, impactful reporting thats communicated through text & video.
- Give regular on-air analysis & commentary related to news on your respective beat.
- Occasionally interview executives & industry newsmakers on your respective beat.
- At least two to three years of experience at an established news publication.
- A proven track record of delivering original, exclusive reporting on at least one of the following beats: transportation, gaming, retail, cannabis, or a big tech company like Google.
- Experience with business & financial news coverage. You should be able to analyze & contextualize a companys quarterly earnings results.
- Ability to write crystal-clear copy efficiently & quickly.
- Ability to effectively communicate on-camera in a fast-paced, live news TV environment.
- A passion for breaking news & a collaborative spirit.
Our Benefits & Culture:
The Cheddar team moves at lightning speed & our employees have the opportunity to make an extraordinary impact. We are growing fast & achieving milestones every day. Our team is direct, relentless, ethical, proactive, & different. All of our full time employees receive a competitive compensation & benefits package, which includes stock options, health, dental, & vision insurance, disability & life insurance, 401K, discounted gym membership, commuter benefits, generous paid leave, drinks & snacks, team events, happy hours, & more.
Cheddar is an equal opportunity employer, & we actively cultivate an inclusive workplace that celebrates diversity. We welcome all candidates & are committed to hiring people with a wide variety of experiences & backgrounds. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.