Bread is a technology company that aims to transform the way the world shops online. We build tools, technologies & APIs that allow e-commerce merchants to integrate installment loan financing & other alternative payment products anywhere in their customers shopping journey. Bread has enormous & engaging technical challenges. We need to verify online identity, predict fraud, & approve & price credit while providing a beautiful & frictionless consumer experience, all in realtime. Our Engineering team plays a critical role in allowing us to grow our business & the success of our brand partners.
The Member team is responsible for building the full life cycle loan servicing platform & UI which are integral to the success of the business. The team works on multiple distributed services written in Go for functionality such as the high volume loan processes, ledger, payment processing, & more. The team also owns the consumer & servicing applications & experiences, developed in React. We are looking for software engineers to join our team working on scaling & distributed systems challenges as we continue to grow & enhance our platform.
Your role at Bread:
- Translate company & consumer needs into functional & compelling consumer experiences
- Structure frontend code in a visually consistent manner that encourages the building of more accessible & user friendly interfaces
- Work closely with engineers, designers, & product managers. Define, test, & execute new user-facing features using React & Material-UI.
- Be involved in design & implementation of new features & iterations of our core platform
- Build reusable libraries & tools to help the team move faster & write more reliable code.
- Contribute to tools used by the entire frontend organisation. Introduce new approaches that we didn't know we needed.
- Enable Bread to process billions of dollars of financial instruments per year
What we are looking for:
- Understanding of one or more modern web technologies - React (Preferred), Ember, Vue
- Experience writing clean, accessible, performant, & beautiful HTML & CSS
- Experience with RESTful APIs
- A passion for engineering & technology
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with Node.js
- Knowledge of server-side languages & data stores (our backends are built with Go & PostgreSQL)
- Experience with message-based, loosely coupled architectures (we use gRPC & Kafka)
- Experience developing systems intended for cloud deployments (AWS, EKS, lambdas, etc)
- Knowledge of financial products
Engineers at Bread also get the opportunity to participate in 20% time through Working Groups! Working Groups are quarterly teams of 4 to 6 engineers who set out to tackle a specific engineering initiative outside of their core engineering team. Working Groups have included ones for Logging Architecture, Internal Authentication, Community & Blogs, Testing Infrastructure, & Monitoring. Groups meet every Friday to plan & own their roadmap & implement their features. All engineers get a chance to be in one of these groups & over time potentially lead a group for that quarter. It's another opportunity as an engineer at Bread to have impact across the entire organization!