Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about making the internet a safer place for everyone .
Were looking for inspired & motivated technical contributors to join the DigitalOcean team as Security Operations Analyst. In this role, you will be a key member of DigitalOceans security team, reporting to the Manager of Security Abuse Operations. You will improve the security posture of DigitalOcean both reactively & proactively, as well as handling incidents & making the internet a safer place. Security Operations Analysts must excel at identifying vulnerabilities, building tactical & strategic mitigation plans, & eliminating bad actors inside the DigitalOcean platform.
What Youll Be Doing:
- Analyzing network traffic to identify compromised systems, negate denial of service attacks, & pinpoint resource abuse.
- Investigate, identify & prevent or mitigate abusive activities such as intrusion attempts, DDoS, malware distribution, phishing attacks, etc. originating from DigitalOcean Platform.
- Handling live intrusions & incident response cases, in a customer-facing & transparent manner, to minimize the impact of bad actors on the internet.
- Proactively hunting threats, red teaming, penetration testing, performing exploit & vulnerability research, all in order to find & close holes exploited by bad actors.
- Engineering approaches to harvest security data, converting that data into actionable intelligence, & collaborating with the technical teams to act on that intelligence.
- Establish creative approaches to complex information security issues.
- Locating trends in abuse vectors, communicating with leadership to apprise of extent, & advocating for appropriate product changes to prevent future occurrences.
- Vetting abuse claims, responding to reporters, & helping customers get back on the platform.
- Work within a queue management system with specific daily targets on the number of customer contacts completed with a quality resolution.
- Building strong relationships with the other technical teams across our engineering & infrastructure functions.
- Establishing an understanding of DigitalOceans entire production environment, from applications to infrastructure, keeping up-to-date with material changes & future directions.
- Coaching & mentoring other skilled security practitioners across application, information, & infrastructure security.
What Well Expect From You:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- A high degree of curiosity & aptitude, with a clear passion around security as a lifestyle.
- Significant experience handling Incident Response in relation to live intrusions
- Significant experience in one or more of the following fields:
- Proactive Threat Hunting
- Threat Intelligence Collection / Threat Investigation / Dissemination
- Network Security
- Security Operations
- Incident Response
- Ability to Diagnose, Troubleshoot, & Resolve Infrastructure Security Problems
- Understanding of hardware, software, & networking; distributed computing; virtualization; high-performance storage systems; databases; & cloud computing
- Understanding of TCP/IP concepts, application protocols & knowledge of database structures & working with Unix/Linux.
- Intellectual Curiosity & Self-Motivation to perform complex tasks
- Clear written & verbal communications skill to include; technical writing, presenting, coaching, mentoring
- Ability to provide & receive clear, direct, & honest feedback for continuous improvement
- A forward looking perspective on security engineering, tackling each problem with a degree of creativity that uses previous internal/external approaches as a data point, not a rulebook.
- The ability to remain optimistic & passionate about overcoming security obstacles at scale in both reactive & proactive situations.
- Consistently improving security as the platform scales, driving continuous improvement through data collection & correlation, being mindful that security should be an efficiency enabler for the business - not a detractor.
- Bonus: Ability to code, script, or automate classes of problems rather than handling them manually (Python, Bash, Go, Ruby)
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, & other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We care about your physical, financial & mental well-being. We offer a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to & from work easier.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge, Palo Alto & Bangalore, were very distributedwe use a number of communication tools to connect across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices & meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Security #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Security team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!