theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to more than 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
The tech team at theSkimm is a group of experienced, resourceful programmers who work in lockstep with product managers, analysts, & designers to devise project plans that prioritize improving our member experience while balancing frequent iterations & thoughtful source code changes.Our mission is to enable our partners across theSkimm, from Editorial & Audio to Marketing & Advertising, to achieve their goals with the best systems & processes we can offer. We build tools throughout the stack, share knowledge across departments, & learn quickly so we can take best advantage of whats coming.
As the organization scales, were looking for an experienced Site Reliability Engineer to join theSkimm's Tech to take ownership of our infrastructure & deployments. Reporting to theSkimm's Director of Backend Engineering, youll be responsible for getting existing infrastructure ready for increased scale, owning & improving performance metrics as well as designing new architectures as we build out our applications across the web & mobile. Youll also be responsible for helping developers think through security risks, attack vectors, & practices that maintain our users privacy.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 2+ years of experience scaling highly available web-based applications & services
- Experience building data storage architectures that limit risk of intrusion & misuse
- Experience implementing & improving CI & CD pipelines
- Enthusiasm for working as part of a rapidly growing team in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Familiarity with industry best practices & experience driven opinions on troubleshooting complex systems
- Working knowledge of the entire web stack (HTTP, DNS, Operating Systems Fundamentals, Load Balancing)
- Strong communication skills & passion for sharing expertise with other team members
- Experience working with AWS or equivalent cloud providers
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Experience designing & iterating on infrastructure at a high-growth startup
- Experience working with sensitive (financial, health, classified) data stores
- Deep familiarity with docker, travis, or elastic beanstalk
- A proven track record of scaling systems efficiently & reliably
- A passion for documentation
- Familiarity & enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience & mission
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability insurance, starting on your first day!
- Equity for all employees
- A flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- 'MassMutual' 401(k) program
- Free 'One Medical' Membership
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Subsidized family planning & fertility benefits through 'Carrot Fertility'
- Catered meals & drinks during our weekly "Sipn Skimm" all-hands meeting & twice-monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine, & a pretty sweet roof deck
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY