Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldnt have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling & vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge $1 trillion in the US alone but the process is inefficient & largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses & make a living doing what theyre great at.
These customers & pros come from all walks of life & every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers & pros.
About the Finance Team
Thumbtacks Finance team is a tight-knit team responsible for stewardship of Thumbtacks long-term financial strategy, value creation & results. Our teams mission is to deliver timely, complete & accurate financial information that can be relied on to help drive impactful business decisions. Our business partners rely on our insight & trust to help them solve difficult problems.
The team owns Thumbtacks financial strategy, accounting, planning, & capital raising processes. In addition, the Finance team provides critical financial reporting & insights to the organization, leadership team, Board, & investors.
About the Role
We are seeking a passionate & highly motivated individual to join Thumbtacks Strategic Finance team. Working in partnership with cross-functional partners & stakeholders, this role will play a key role in Thumbtacks corporate development & long-term strategic planning activities. The role will involve strategy, research, analysis, & execution of M&A, fundraising, & partnership transactions; development of the companys 3-year plan & long-term model; IPO preparation & execution; & special strategic projects as they arise.
This individual will have strong technical skills, transaction execution experience & a proven ability to analyze complex problems. This role will report to the Director, Strategic Finance.
- Analyze Thumbtacks market, competitive landscape, & competitive position; build & maintain a repository of this information; educate the company on these topics on an ongoing basis
- Develop & continually update strategic themes & sectors of interest for mergers & acquisitions, investments, & partnerships; identify public & privately held targets; present & advocate for opportunities with sound theses, rationale, & analytics
- Manage & execute acquisitions & investments, including deal sourcing, due diligence, transaction, & integration
- Manage fundraising activities, including IPO preparation & execution
- Build investor-facing materials, including investor presentations, models, & data
- Participate in development of 3-year strategic plan; build long-term financial model while maintaining a perspective on Thumbtacks valuation
- Build collaborative relationships across the Company, including with members of the product, operations, finance, marketing, & people teams
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, & we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Experience & proven track record at a top-tier investment bank, private equity firm, and/or corporate development organization; technology experience preferred
- Experience doing strategic analysis of companies markets, competitive landscapes, & competitive positioning
- Superior financial modeling & analysis skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to build business cases supported with quantitative & qualitative analysis
- Highly motivated, high impact, self-starter
- Excellent written, verbal & presentation skills
- Highest ethical standards, excellent judgment, & personal/professional integrity; discretion in handling confidential information
- Experience working with technology, software, and/or marketplace businesses
- Experience executing M&A, partnerships or private equity transactions
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace one of the largest in the U.S. that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers & make a living doing what theyre great at.
Founded in 2008 & headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners & Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live & work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto & Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.