At White Ops, were all hackers. This doesnt mean you have to hold a key to the internet (although one of our founders does!), but it does require approaching problems in unconventional ways. We are attacking criminal botnets through the ad fraud that finances their operations. Our proprietary technology detects & prevents sophisticated online fraud. By reducing the incentives for crime, we are making the internet a better place. Our mighty team of humans have several things in common:
We are hackers.
We create tau for ourselves & each other.
We think big & move fast.
We practice humility.
We pwn it.
What we do:
We keep the internet safe by fighting organized cybercrime. Our products accurately detect & prevent even the most sophisticated bots & our customers include some of the web's largest & most forward-thinking companies.
Our team of engineers is friendly, curious, driven, & highly collaborative. We support one another & regularly hold code reviews to facilitate learning & reduce friction during our 2-week releases. We strive for clean & readable code. Our engineers also work closely with other teams in the company, including creative, product, & customer support.
As a detection engineer at White Ops, you will be developing techniques for identifying non human activity & software that applies those techniques in a production environment. This includes remote detection of malware & similar forms of organized cybercrime. There is an active adversary, continuously attempting to defeat our algorithms, & to sometimes interfere directly with our capabilities & tech stack.
What you'll do:
- Threat modeling: how would you game the system - taking a systematic approach to understanding the incentives of a system, as well as its payment triggers & potential bad actors, & presenting the characteristics & behaviors of those models.
- Raw signal development: this is where the detection team thrives & requires some level of creative problem solving. The better the technical signal we can extract from different environments, the stronger our detection & prevention abilities are.
- Marker development: markers are our core algorithms that take in raw signal & output a decision. We are continuously developing markers for various types of fraud, specific bots, malware packages, & other things. This is the heart of the system.
- Threat Intel & attribution: this area of research involves taking all the data we have & exploring attribution to software, malware, & sometimes actors. It will also involve applying data science techniques to detect potential false negatives, false positives, & signs of adversary adaptation, as well as reverse engineering applicable malware & bot samples for new detection leads.
- Software Development. A lot of the output of detection results in pushing code to production. We must do this in way that allows for rapid experimentation of signal without compromising safety or potential impact to end users. The system must also be secure & minimize the attack surface to compromise our payload for delivery of malware.
We understand it takes a diverse team of highly intelligent, passionate, curious, & creative people to solve the challenges involved in protecting the Internet. Our dynamic team of humans have incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, & we take great pride in being an equal opportunity workplace.
Who you are:
- Java is optional but a bonus
- Past experience in security, fraud, or ad tech
- Past experience working with very large data sets
- Strong software development experience
- Clear communication with humans
- Track record of independent, creative problem solving
- Strong understanding of how browsers & mobile applications work
- Track record for solving complex security problems
About White Ops:
Our mission is to protect the internet by verifying the humanity of every online transaction. Founded in 2012 in a Brooklyn sci-fi bookstore, we now serve trillions of monthly decisions for some of the webs largest platforms. Our technology protects digital advertisers, publishers, ad tech, & enterprise businesses globally by detecting & blocking bots. Its an ongoing war that we happily fight every day.
Life at White Ops:
Our HQ office is centrally located in NYC in the heart of the Flatiron District. We had approximately 100% headcount growth in the past year & we are growing the company deliberately, with a keen eye towards maintaining a culture that values diversity, lifestyle, & career growth. We are doing meaningful work & we need people to join our mighty team. We are proud of our overwhelmingly positive presence on Glassdoor & Built in NYC. We have offices located in NYC, DC, Victoria, & London.
We have many world class customers who use our platform We're focused & propelled by a substantive mission We're building a very sophisticated product that fights a real threat to humanity We're committed to building a product companies need We have created an environment that optimizes your skills & brings out your best work