Compass is streamlining the home buying & selling experience by building the single software platform for all real estate activities. Founded in 2012, Compass combines the best technology & personalized service to power all real estate activities in 100+ U.S. cities, all in service of our mission to help everyone find their place in the world.
At Compass, we have nearly 15,000 of the countrys top real estate agents who work with clients to help them buy, sell & rent homes. Compass is a Series G venture-backed company that raised over $1.5 billion in venture funds, & have grown to over 1,800 employees in the last 2 years.
Reporting to the Director of Internal Controls, you will be integral in maintaining & supporting the integrity & effectiveness of the Company's control involvement. You must be a proactive self-sufficient individual who enjoys working in a challenging & fast-paced environment. Communication skills, attention to detail, & an objective approach to learning & problem-solving is a must. You will work collaboratively with cross-functional business process owners as well as external auditors/consultants. The teams mission, of which you will be integral, is to ensure effective controls to ensure not only completeness & accuracy of financial statements but also support best practices within the business.
At Compass you will:
- Execute all phases of the Company's ongoing SOX compliance efforts from planning through reporting.
- Assist in company-wide & business process-specific risk assessments to evaluate & address any impact the results may have on the control environment.
- Assist in the design & implementation of efficient & effective controls in all departments across within the organization.
- Validate that documentation of the control environment (e.g., process flows & control matrices) are kept current.
- Conduct periodic meetings/walkthroughs with process owners to ensure any changes to process are updated & properly assessed for control gaps.
- Help develop & execute the annual test plan for evaluating key controls for operating effectiveness. Development will include setting the timing of when testing will be performed during the year, determining a sampling approach, designing test plans, & establishing effective protocol for the evaluation, resolution, & escalation of any exceptions. Execution will include testing, reviewing work papers, & promptly facilitating the remediation of any exceptions with process owners in a timely manner.
- Stay current to changes in regulatory guidance, industry best practices, & areas of focus/hot topics for external audits.
- Build & manage relationships with Company stakeholders, while promoting the importance of compliance initiatives throughout the organization.
- Supporting process owners through training, reviewing, & providing guidance for their processes.
- Support the Chief Accounting Officer in reporting status & results to Management as well as be the main point of contact for our external auditors for any control-related matters relevant to their audit procedures.
- Participate in other compliance initiatives and/or internal audit-related functions the Company may engage.
- Manage a team external consultants
What Were Looking For:
- Strong interpersonal skills, as candidate must be able to work & communicate with individuals at all levels across the organization as well as external consultants
- 5-8 years of public & private accounting experience
- CPA, preferred
- Knowledge & experience in applying audit principles/standards & SOX guidance
- Strong organizational & time management skills
- Willingness to travel, if needed
- Real estate industry and/or lease accounting experience, a plus
- IT General Controls & Application Controls experience, a plus
- Experience with Netsuite & Auditboard software, a plus
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community of different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyones place.