Gimlet Media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, StartUp, Crimetown, Homecoming, & The Nod. We have top editorial, sales, & business teams that create experiences that help listeners better understand each other & the world around them. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, & kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing experiences for listeners, & a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, & supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, & who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here. Were proud to have recently joined the Spotify family with whom we share these values.
Gimlet & the Wall Street Journal are teaming up to launch a new daily podcast this Spring. The show will take listeners behind the biggest business news stories of the day. We will explain how business drives the days headlines, & how the Wall Street Journal's deeply-reported stories shape the landscape. We will make business news relatable, & well reveal how business & finance are behind some of the biggest events happening around us.
The Supervising Editor will help uphold & expand the editorial vision & standards of the show while ensuring that the producers on the team thrive & do their best work. The Supervising Editor is a highly creative & flexible individual, with experience in newsroom or daily news settings. This person is a strong writer & editor, with the ability to ensure rigorous editorial standards at all times, while also proving nimble & responsive at times of breaking news. The Supervising Editor is eager to help push the boundaries of conventional daily news, & a strong a collaborative team player. This person will have refined leadership skills, a deep knowledge of narrative-driven journalism, married to a strong daily news sense. The Supervising Editor can cut tape, write strong copy, understand smart sound design, & help others do their best work. This person will report to the Executive Producer.
Were looking for someone who is experienced in fast turnaround production, enthusiastic about the Wall Street Journals reporting, & excited about storytelling & explanatory podcasts.
While this role is set for normal work hours, it also requires flexibility & openness to weekend & after-hours work.
What Youll Do
- Help set the daily editorial agenda
- Work closely with WSJ reporters & editors to develop story ideas into audio
- Edit scripts before interviews
- Line edit often on a tight deadline
- Help contribute to editorial selection, writing & structure
- Manage & grow the talents of producers on the production team
- Balance multiple episodes in production at the same time
- Fill in for the EP, including giving the final sign off before publish
What You Have
- 6+ years producing audio in a high-caliber, high-output organization
- ProTools proficiency
- A passion for the work of the Journal specifically & business news generally
- Strong news judgement & experience working in a news environment
- A passion for podcasts, & helping to expand the boundaries of conventional journalism
- Enthusiasm for a high-intensity daily production schedule
- Collaborative, calm, motivated with the ability to motivate others
This is a full-time role employed by Gimlet but based in the Wall Street Journals Manhattan offices. To apply, please submit a resume & cover letter.