Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products & content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Tax Accountant to join our Accounting team.
Want to help us transform the travel experience? The ideal candidate will have had experience in domestic & foreign indirect tax filings, federal/state & foreign corporate income tax filings & tax compliance & operating tax oversight. You will report to the Tax Senior Manager based in our New York City office.
As a company that values diversity, equity, & inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds & experiences to apply for this opportunity. Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, anti-racism training, & bias prevention initiatives, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What youll do:
- Facilitate & oversee state, local & foreign indirect tax returns prepared & filed by 3rd party providers
- Prepare & file required annual property tax returns & gross receipts returns
- Research various indirect tax matters including nexus, state filing requirements & tax law changes
- Respond to tax notices & assist with tax audits
- Monitor & maintain Avalara third party software used for the indirect tax filings
- Maintain & oversee tax balances on general ledger & perform reconciliation on tax related accounts to ensure accurate balances
- Coordinate & assist with the preparation of federal, state, local & foreign corporate income tax filings
- Assist with ad hoc tax projects as assigned including but not limited to payroll tax matters, unclaimed property, tax process improvement & automation
- Assist with streamlining initiatives to improve compliance with all international filings
Who you are:
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting and/or Masters Degree in Tax or equivalent experience plus 2+ years of relevant experience required
- Must be extremely organized & detail oriented with the ability to manage workflow, multiple priorities & meet deadlines
- Must be Proficient in MS Word, Excel, NetSuite, & Avalara tax software
- Ability to work independently to achieve results
- Proficient research, analytical & reconciliation skills
- Demonstrate high levels of initiative, good judgment, & communication skills
- Team player with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but thats a given!)
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have generous PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more! You can bring your dog to work. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.