Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africas most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, & Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Role
In this role, you will primarily work as a Software Engineer within the Technology department building world-class learning technology to support the skill development of Andela developers at scale.
As the Software Engineer, you will take on complex tasks & complete them despite roadblocks, grabbing others for help or insight as necessary. You will require little oversight beyond high-level direction; you can take a complex user story, break it down into sub-tasks, & complete their sub-tasks with relative ease. You will show initiative beyond knocking tasks off a list; you are able to identify & suggest areas of future work for yourself or your team. You will drive product velocity & deliver products with confidence. You will take pride in building products that are key to helping Andela grow & scale as an organization.
- Work closely with Product Managers, Engineers & Stakeholders to understand the business requirements
- Collaborate with a team of engineers to deliver complex software solutions that meet those needs
- Own the full lifecycle of features from design, to implementation to deployment & maintenance
- Promote & nurture good team practices such as TDD, code reviews, & pair programming
- Participate & contribute during project planning sessions
- 3-5 years of software development experience
- Strong understanding of computer science principles, system design, & architecture
- Experience working in an agile environment (standups, sprint planning, retrospectives, etc)
- Experience developing SaaS products, specifically ed-tech or learning technology
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD) & pair programming
- Experience building both front-end & backend
- Proficient in at least two (2) or more of the following technologies:
- Angular / React
- AWS / Google Cloud
- Solid written & verbal communication
- Experience working remotely as an effective team member
- A Bachelor's or advanced degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related field