Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about creating products that you & your peers would love.
We are looking for a highly motivated & experienced technical engineering manager to support our engineers & engineering culture.Reporting to the Senior Manager forDigitalOceans Systems & Performance missions, this engineering manager will have agreat understanding of teams & process. This person will be responsible for aiding career development, motivating & monitoring engineers, working with engineering leads to evaluate an engineers performance, providing coaching, & counseling as needed. The Manager, Engineering will be accountable for the engineering teams performance & quality. This person will also have an understanding of virtualization, linux kernel & large scale distributed systems. The Manager, Engineering will also manage the recruitment, selection, & retention of the team as we continue to grow & scale. This role can be based remotely in North America or from our offices in NYC & Cambridge, MA.
What Youll Be Doing:
- Recruiting, managing, & maintaining a world-class engineering team that builds & optimizes our virtualization stack.
- Collaborating with technical leads & contributing to the overall architecture, design, & development of core projects related to Systems
- Managing software project schedules using various life cycle approaches (we are an Agile-lite shop) & related methodologies using a variety of tools
- Building & developing processes to continuously improve engineering performance & quality
- Working with the product team to ensure successful product & feature rollouts including requirement analysis, capture, & documentation
- Supporting the professional goals & development opportunities for the entire team.
- Boosting communication & facilitating ongoing continuous feedback loops between engineers & the engineering leads
- Providing coaching & counseling via mentoring, one-on-one meetings, etc
- Monitoring & reviewing each engineer's progress related to development goals & KPIs
- Organizing regular performance appraisals
- Planning & executing relevant training for the engineering team
- Support the team in actively contributing to relevant open source communities, including the linux kernel & QEMU.
What Well Expect From You:
- 3+ years of direct experience with managing, coaching, & mentoring software engineers
- Domain expertise in shipping virtualization, operating systems & kernel
- Experience working with the upstream kernel community
- Proven track record of managing & delivering projects throughout the entire SDLC, delivering products to market on schedule & ensuring feedback loops from customers work their way into development
- Experience introducing & growing a quick release development environment with short cycles
- Good cross-disciplinary collaboration experience between engineering, technical operations, & product groups
- Solid knowledge of end-to-end quality best practices
- Experience with staffing, interviewing, retaining & building high performing teams
- Exceptional verbal & written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail & follow-up
Why Youll Like Working For DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other & take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to & from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles & reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC & Cambridge, & offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.