Field of Visions Programming Assistant position is a support role for Field of Visions Executive Producer & the funding & commissioning process. Candidates should note that this is a role with the ability to learn about the development, funding & curatorial process across short, episodic & feature nonfiction film.
The ideal candidate will be extremely organized, with a passion for process & operations. Must be detail oriented, adept at multi-tasking, & a self-starter. While not a creative position, this job directly supports the creative process of Field of Vision, & is an amazing opportunity for the right person to grow with the company.
This role reports to the Co-Founder & Executive Producer, Charlotte Cook.
- Provide a wide range of operational & administrative support for Executive Producer, & of commissioning & funding processes.
- Manage an ever-changing calendar, including vetting & prioritizing meeting requests & coordinating calls, team meetings & complex travel bookings.
- Manage & updates FOV workflow database for department reference.
- With the assistance of the Managing Director, candidate will manage creative workflow for EP.
- Track & research of potential projects for FOV.
- Manage meeting follow-up for EP. This includes taking notes in meetings & making sure EP is aware of & completes necessary next steps.
- Manage deadlines & notes process for projects, making sure EP is aware of & complete necessary next steps.
- Maintain current submissions databases. Make sure EP is updated & ensures timely response.
- Communicates with filmmakers around submissions.
- Opportunity for some travel to support & represent FOV at festivals.
Background + Qualifications:
- College graduate with 1-2 years experience, preferably in film curation (festivals, broadcasters, online etc.), development and/or commissioning.
- Strong interest in nonfiction film.
- Self-starter with excellent organization skills; able to anticipate needs & be proactive
- Excellent written & verbal communication & interpersonal skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team & take direction as needed.
- Ability to thrive & adapt in a fast-paced environment.
- Hardworking, creative, & professional, with unflinching attention to detail.
- Willing to travel as needed.
About Field of Vision
Field of Vision is a filmmaker-driven visual journalism unit that commissions filmmakers & artists with developing & ongoing stories around the globe. Field of Vision is committed to advocating for the rights & needs of filmmakers, & supporting cinematic innovation & diversity.
Founded in 2015 & led by Executive Producers Laura Poitras & Charlotte Cook, Field of Vision has commissioned, produced and/or supported more than 110 films, including over 75 short films, 4 episodic series, & 15 features. 49% of FOV-supported films have been directed by women & 41% by filmmakers of color. This work has premiered at Sundance, Cannes, Toronto, Berlin, SXSW, Hot Docs, Tribeca, & IDFA, among many other festivals, winning multiple Grand Jury & other awards & nominations.
Distribution partners represent a wide range of media, from publishers the New Yorker and The Intercept & Teen Vogue; distributors NEON, Showtime, BBC, PBS, Hulu; and, exhibitors New Yorks IFC Center & Londons Institute for Contemporary Arts.
About First Look Media
A bold, independent spirit defines everything we do at First Look Media from journalism that holds the powerful accountable, to arts & entertainment that shapes our culture. Launched by eBay founder & philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media is built on the belief that freedom of expression & of the press, & fiercely independent perspectives, are vital to a healthy democracy & a vibrant culture.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.