Were hiring an Editorial Operations Manager.
About our team & what well build together
Our team is made up of collaborative, unique, kind, inclusive individuals who bring their A-game to work every day. As a mission-driven brand, we have the unique ability to assess what our audience needs to know vs. chasing what every other brand is covering. We have a lot of creative freedom & understanding of our audience & we work together to deliver informative, accurate, accessible content. We create the articles, podcasts, videos, etc. that power our website, newsletters, podcasts, social channels, & more.
How youll contribute to our mission
If the editorial team is the backbone of the brand, Editorial Operations Manager is the backbone of the backbone. They will be responsible for ensuring were working efficiently & effectively intra- & inter-departmentally. They will report to the Editor-in-Chief.
- Keeping track of content output & performance
- Owning the editorial moments calendar & planning
- Maintaining editorial coverage notes & internal communication
- Refining cross-functional editorial processes within the department & across other departments, always identifying areas for improvement & streamlining
- Managing editorial assistants & their time based on company priorities
- Facilitating an editorial development series & team trainings
- Working closely with the Editor-in-Chief on strategic initiatives & presentations
- Acting as editorial lead for any changes to the CMS, Asana, or other management systems
- Coordinating content team onboarding & offboarding
- Project managing small editorial campaigns & projects
- Overseeing the editorial style guide, Asana boards, & other centralized documentation & resources
- Managing editorial administrative needs such as editorial subscriptions, software & tools, user management, contracts, etc.
- Owning the content teams budgeting process & one-off asks as far as setting planning meetings, suggesting solutions, owning & delivering completed documents, & liaising with the finance team on details
Youre ready for this! Heres a bit more about what were looking for
- 4-6 years of digital newsroom experience, with 2 of those in an operational role managing a similar sizeable publication required
- Experience project managing editorial initiatives
- Experience with short & long-term editorial, budget, & project planning is required
- Proven expertise & knowledge in the latest digital trends, technology, & best practices for editorial, commerce content, & SEO
- Proven expertise with content analytics
- Highly organized, extremely detail-oriented, & able to effectively prioritize workload in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to self-motivate & be a team player across multiple departments
- Excellent verbal & written skills
- Proficient in WordPress & Asana a plus
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience preferred
Why we love working here
We put you & your personal lives first - we have a generous benefits policy that demonstrates we are listening to what our employees need:
- Unlimited vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- A hybrid working model with flexibility for remote work
- Comprehensive insurance plans & commuter benefits
- Auto-enrollment into a MassMutual 401(k) plan starting on your first day & employer contribution available after one year of employment
- Access to family building & fertility benefits
- Rewards for every work anniversary
- One month paid sabbatical after your five year anniversary as a full-time employee
We support our parents at all points on their journey:
- Generous paid parental leave
- Access to family building & fertility benefits
- Flexible & broad scale child support program
Your well being is our priority:
- We honor Sacred Time in our workplace
- We have aligned company time off during the summer to truly allow for us all to break from our work at the same time
- We offer fitness membership reimbursement
- One Medical Membership is included with our benefits
We have a vibrant, collaborative & supportive culture (we celebrate & have fun!):
- Weekly company updates led by our co-founders/co-CEOs
- Weekly lunch stipend for HQ employees
- Employee awards ceremonies to celebrate individual accomplishments
- Clubs & activities designed to meet other employees like book clubs, new hire buddy programs, rooftop lunches, off-sites, & wellness focused classes
- Numerous culture events that enable our workforce, in the office & remote, to connect & have fun
Your career & development are a priority:
- Annual learning & development stipend
- LEAD@theSkimm, our leadership development program
- DEI initiatives to ensure we are the best partners & colleagues to each other
- Career development guidance & planning
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Complimentary access to theSkimms suite of membership products & swag
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking, & diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter
Our story, Skimmd
Were a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives.
At our core, we are writers, editors, producers, designers, marketers, engineers, analysts, sellers, creatives & strategists all working together to achieve this goal.
Since launching in 2012, we have become a trusted source for a community of millions of Skimmrs by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way our audience consumes news & makes decisions. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, remains the fastest-growing newsletter on the market, & we continue to innovate, find new ways to Skimm everything from finance & careers to voting, wellness & downtime. Our product suite has expanded to include three top-rated podcasts, Skimm This'', Pop Cultured, & 9 to 5ish, theSkimm mobile app, Skimm Money & Skimm Your Life newsletters, a new virtual course series called SkimmU, & Skimm Studios for innovative in-house video & audio content. Our first book, How to Skimm Your Life, was released in June 2019 & debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.
And were not done! We continue to grow the breadth of our offerings in lifes necessary categories & by expanding our products across events, commerce, customized content & audio, our ecosystem will become the go-to resource for this generation - & the ones that follow - in the most critical areas of their lives.
Come join us!
Learn more about us & our other opportunities here.
What about the office?
This is a full-time role with flexibility for remote work.
Our office is available to use three days a week - Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday. We have a hybrid environment & ask that employees within the New York Metro area come together in person a minimum of three days per month. All other days are up to the discretion of the employees during the three days a week that the office will be open. We are continuing to closely monitor the state of COVID-19 in New York & will adjust this plan accordingly.
We will require COVID-19 vaccinations for anyone coming to our office. We are following CDC recommendations & will also require additional boosters, & will always follow CDC & NY state guidance on wearing masks in the office.