Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Come in & help us to build an online data platform to serve our customer needs!
Planet has an unparalleled dataset; we observe the entire Earth everyday. Serving valuable insights with this data is challenging! The customer growth team is focused on helping our customers find value in our platform so that they remain continuously happy customers.
In this role, you will be a critical leader in helping to build & evolve our customer-facing online data platform. This data platform will be used to deliver insights to customers about their platform use, & eventually power the personalization of the customer & partner ecosystem. You will be required to have a sharp product sense, deliver work incrementally, & de-risk hard problems. You will also be required to have a compelling vision for what the data platform can provide regarding customer value.
Impact Youll Own:
- Developing a vision & roadmap to build a customer-facing data platform that increases Planets value for customers
- Executing & de-risking the roadmap to ensure incremental delivery of the online data platform to validate use cases
- Collaborating closely with product & cross-functional stakeholders to gather requirements for the platform & ensure the platform constantly meets customer needs
- Taking part in on-call rotation so as to ensure a stable, 24/7 service to Planet customers
What You Bring:
- Deep experience in building data platforms & infrastructure in a team setting
- An understanding of data platform architectures & a seasoned & pragmatic sense of tradeoffs
- A track record of incrementally delivering engineering solutions that have real customer impact
- An excellent understanding of developer experience as it relates to data, & a strong desire to build an easy-to-use platform by all engineers
- Clear communication skills that resonate with engineers, cross functional stakeholders, & executives
- Experience working in cross-functional teams that put customer requirements first
- A track record of mentorship & growing other engineers
- Adaptability & openness to changes & challenges
- A positive, can-do attitude to work
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Data orchestration systems such as Airflow, Google Workflows, etc.
- Spark, Apache Beam, & other distributed data processing frameworks
- Logging infrastructure & event processing pipelines
- Instrumenting observability & cost monitoring into data infrastructure
- Building beautiful APIs for developer access to the data platform
- Agile software development methods
- Microservice architectures
- Google Cloud Platform
- Geospatial data & algorithm domains
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program & onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites & Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (only applicable for Colorado applicants):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $156,600 - $243,900. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, & other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.