Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, & what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous mastersGordon Ramsay, Martin Scorsese, Serena Williams, Helen Mirren, Margaret Atwood, Annie Leibovitz, Steph Curry, Carlos Santana, Timbaland & many more to come.
Since launching the award-winning Android app in August 2018 it has garnered over 100,000+ downloads with a lifetime rating of 4.78. We are seeking a seasoned mobile software engineer to join our growing team & lead the direction, architecture, & framework of our products as we expand across the Android landscape & help define the future of mobile at MasterClass. As the lead of the Android team youll also be responsible for the growth & mentorship of junior engineers & establishing best practices to drive the development of the Android platform.
What we are looking for:
- An experienced Android developer who has shipped multiple apps on the Google Play store used by a large audience
- A self-starter who is able to work independently, as well as collaborate across teams to ensure the highest quality product is shipped to our students
- Someone who is adept at working very closely with product & design teams
- A strong individual contributor with a solid understanding of build systems & infrastructure for Android
- A proactive individual who is comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment
Responsibilities of the role:
- Lead development efforts of the Android team
- Expand the Android development ecosystem across multiple devices & platforms
- Research, analyze, & test cutting-edge concepts while keeping current on the latest Android developments & pushing the limits of what is possible in a mobile UI
- Mentor junior developers
- 5-8+ years of experience developing, shipping & maintaining native Android apps
- Expert level knowledge in Android development, with a deep understanding of Android core frameworks
- Strong leadership experience: Leading meetings, presenting, technical go-to person, & cross-functional leader
- Excellent communication skills: Demonstrated ability to explain complex technical issues to both technical & non-technical audiences
- Have experience in mentoring & supporting peers & engineering teams, fostering best engineering practices.
- Understanding of software design patterns & Android design patterns
- 3+ years experience with web services (consuming or creating) with REST
- History of shipping consumer-focused apps that users love on the Play Store, you can show what you've owned
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Experience working closely with product & design
- Ability to work full-time in our San Francisco office
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
Nice to haves:
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience with popular 3rd party libraries, frameworks, & services like RxJava, Retrofit, Dagger, Crashlytics, & Amplitude, including when not to use one
- Familiarity with Material design principles & components
- Some experience with A/B testing
- Experience working on Video or Audio streaming apps
- Hands-on experience with Kotlin is a plus!
- Strong eye for beautiful design & user experience
- You are data-driven & dedicated to thorough testing to maintain high-quality software.
- Expertise with Unit & Integration Testing
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.