Common is the nations leading residential brand offering convenience & community through coliving & traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across our growing portfolio of homes. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free & all-inclusive living environment, & for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes across the United States & receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
Its an exciting time to be part of Commons team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, & so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, & embrace a whatever it takes mentality to ensure our work is done & done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology & real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the worlds rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves & has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology & service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, & learn about what its like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, & Twitter. To see more open roles & hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is looking for an experienced Property Manager to manage a portfolio of buildings remotely for our institutional clients. You will ensure these properties meet budgeted financial & operational goals by managing onsite Associate Property Managers & collaborating closely with Commons specialized teams (Sales, Maintenance, Marketing, Accounting). As the primary contact to owners, success in this role requires razor-sharp analytical skills as well as a high EQ. This role will report to the Senior Director of Property Management.
- Prepare annual operating budgets & perform budget projections for all properties.
- Ensure all required weekly, monthly, & quarterly reports are completed accurately, on-time, & with relevant analyses
- Act as the primary point of contact with Commons largest property owners.
- Work with stakeholders to implement effective cost control, revenue maximization, & delinquency management systems.
- Maintain thorough product knowledge of all your properties & their competitors
- Ensure your buildings perform to targeted performance metrics.
- Utilize online accounting systems, including but not limited to approving large purchase orders & annual contracts.
- Ongoing management of onsite Associate Property Managers & constant coordination with cross-functional stakeholders in Maintenance, Sales, Compliance, Leasing, & Accounting.
- Travel 2-4 times per month to inspect buildings & ensure efficient operations.
- Help suggest improvements & fixes to make our Property Management process run more efficiently.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including weekends & holidays.
- Firmly grasp local property regulation nuances.
- & other ad hoc projects from time to time
- A minimum of 7 years as a Residential Property Manager.
- A minimum of 2 years of leasing experience.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- WA brokers license required & can qualify as a managing broker
- Working knowledge of building systems.
- General knowledge of housing authority procedures.
- Strong knowledge of fair housing rules & regulations.
- Skilled user of collaboration tools such as G Suite, Slack, & property management software (preferably Yardi).
- Ability to support and/or manage the eviction process.
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally
- Strong leadership & mentoring ability.
- Self-starter is able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong time management skills with keen attention to detail; organized, methodical approach to execution.
- Advanced bookkeeping knowledge with the ability to perform general accounting functions.
- Emotional Intelligence
- Scrappy & resourceful problem solver
- A team player with a can-do attitude
- BA/BS Degree
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees & wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy & professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable & valuable health & wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation & sick time
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, & ordinances.