Common is the nations leading residential brand offering convenience & community through coliving & traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 40+ buildings, 6 cities, & over 1,500 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free & all-inclusive living environment, & for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, & Washington, D.C. & receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
Its an exciting time to be part of Commons team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, & so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, & embrace a whatever it takes mentality to ensure our work is done & done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology & real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the worlds rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves & has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology & service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, & learn about what its like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, & Twitter. To see more open roles & hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is seeking a Technical Director to join our Design & Construction Team to develop housing for shared living. We are looking for a proactive individual who can provide the technical coordination & development of interior architectural projects. This leader will oversee the technical design & design development documentation for all projects. This is an opportunity for a talented Technical Director to help our design team to execute superior document quality & delivery for our housing across multiple cities at a large scale. This role will report to the Studio Director, Architecture.
- Responsible for the technical coordination & development of interior architectural projects
- Since Common is not the AOR for our homes, you will collaborate with our partners architects to ensure quality of the brand through advisory & review. This includes coordination with local architects, drawing review, developing & reviewing specifications & coordination with the design & construction team
- Responsible for overseeing the development & coordination of high quality documentation & providing oversight & training for the project team
- Will assist in the development of a QA/QC program & be responsible for the implementation & leading the quality program.
- Knowledge of resources to ensure that deliverables are coordinated, integrated & in sync with the project schedule
- Conducts technical research & analysis required for best practices in project delivery
- Proactively checks & coordinates project documents
- Supports project document control tasks & maintains quality control of such tasks in accordance with Quality Management System & records management protocols
- Develops, coordinates & reviews the technical specifications for each project
- You will be asked to lead project initiatives & work inter departmentally with peers
- This role will involve mentoring & coaching peers on technical knowledge
- There will be opportunities to travel to project sites as necessary
- Directly trains & mentors team members
- Actively engages in internal & external professional development opportunities
- Participates in Technical Design Committees
- Masters Degree or 5 year Bachelors of Architecture degree required
- 6+ Years of experience in an architecture/design firm required
- Experience in residential design & production is preferred
- Portfolio must demonstrate technical experience in housing or residential design
- Professional experience with US city approval (code or zoning) required
- Experience providing oversight & qualified to help develop & implement an QA/QC program
- Familiarity with Revit & AutoCad & demonstrates a practical understanding of Navisworks, Photoshop, Bluebeam & Illustrator preferred
- Candidate must be detail-oriented & comfortable supporting ideas with both qualitative & analytical reasoning
- Candidate must be very organized & be able to multitask across a large number of projects with various deadlines
- Candidate must be a continuous learner who enjoys researching, testing & implementing best practices
- Candidate must be a direct & proactive communicator who can be independent but ask questions when needed
- Strong verbal & written communication skills required
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees & wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy & professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable & valuable health & wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation & sick time, medical, dental & vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD Insurance, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, generous paid parental leave (up to 16 weeks!) & a 401K. Additional benefits such as Company equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + weekly happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, flexible working hours, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates & qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.