What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, & consumer health. The companys scientific discoveries & digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBCs Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Sydney, Australia; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; & So Paulo, Brazil.
The Field Data Solutions team sits within the innovation group & is responsible for trying to digitize farming by better capturing ground-truth data directly from agricultural lands & finding use cases for this data. This data can come from drones, sensors, soil samples, telematics on farm machinery, growers & agronomists, & many other sources.
This role will focus on the strategic needs of the team, which may include:
- Externally-focused growth strategy work to assess where digital farming is going & FDSs fit
- Reviewing the myriad of field solutions available & identifying opportunities to create value for farmers, consumers, & the environment
- Finding opportunities to improve the value created form existing FDS products
- Evaluating commercial opportunities for the field data solutions weve created, both to understand product-market fit & the best course of action to align with company goals.
The article provides a glimpse into some of the problems were trying to solve: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/future-of-food/food-future-precision-agriculture/
We have an extraordinary opportunity to help farmers harness nature to feed the planet in a sustainable manner. Our biological advancements enable us to work with farmers to improve agriculture in a way that creates enormous economic value while benefiting the environment & providing consumers with a more natural food supply. The MBA Intern will work with the Innovation Team & its collaborators (e.g., Indigo Partners, R&D) to find, value, communicate, & operationalize technologies that enable Indigo to bring the future of agriculture into the present.
- Flexibility to work on specific project based on the current most needs of Indigo
- Help assess the future landscape for digital farming & what it means for Indigos Field Data Solutions strategy
- Assist the Innovation Team leadership in crafting business cases for the incorporation of emerging innovative field data solutions into the Indigo Model as well as identifying opportunities to use existing technologies in new ways that can create outstanding value for farmers, consumers, & the environment
- Identify opportunities to new technologies or use existing field technologies in different ways to drive value for Indigo
- Bring a commercial view to existing FDS products, considering product-market fit, go-to-market, & other consideration areas as needed
- Conduct phone interviews with cutting edge technology companies & key opinion leaders
- Present analyses compellingly & clearly to Innovation Team leadership, as well as internal collaborators, via Powerpoint
- Ability to craft innovative, new strategies going beyond where the ag industry is today
- Comfort working through ambiguity & as a self-starter
- Very strong power-point presentation skills; ability to develop a consulting-quality deck
- Business model or growth strategy experience
- Advanced proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, & Word
- Outstanding communication skills
- Passionately devoted to improving farmer profitability, consumer health, & the environmental sustainability of our food system
- Ability to hold & understand several complex ideas simultaneously across cross functional teams
- Entrepreneurial spirit with an insatiable interest in cutting-edge technologies who thrives in a dynamic environment
- Demonstrate grower empathy in interactions with all stakeholders (E.g., growers, to Innovation Team Leadership, to internal collaborators, companies, & KOLs)
- First-year MBA candidates with a strong track record of academic excellence (3.5+ undergrad GPA)
- Academic background in business, math, engineering, science, agronomy, or related field
- Ag & food work or digital ecosystem experience preferred
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, & has opportunities to learn & grow. As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse & inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves & has an equal opportunity of succeeding.
*we ask that MBA candidates limit themselves to 2-3 applications (maximum) across our open opportunities*