Looking for a job to get you out of bed?
Casper is looking for a special designer. Someone with a background in soft goods including Top of Bed, Decorative home & the fabrications included in Utility. Experience in loungewear or outerwear is also helpful. A designer with both skillful technical experience & a strong sense of design; The creativity & experience to know both the limitations & opportunities to evolve textile & material construction & processes & create both seasonal & evergreen collections; & the agility to transfer this knowledge across multiple product categories.
Casper (casper.com) is a global sleep company that launched in 2014 with an obsessively engineered, outrageously comfortable mattress sold directly to consumers. Its critically acclaimed sleep surface was developed in-house, has a sleek design, & is delivered in a small, "how did they do that?"-sized box. The company is one of the fastest-growing consumer brands of all time, & its product line has expanded to include sheets, pillows, a matching foundation, & a dog mattress. Casper was named one of Fast Company's 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2017, & its eponymous mattress was crowned one of TIME Magazine's Best Inventions.
We are deeply committed to building a diverse & inclusive workforce so that we represent all those who dream big equally.
When youre not catching zzzs, this is what youll do...
- Join a multi-disciplinary team who are collectively responsible for defining, developing & building Caspers growing family of products.
- Ability to synthesize the brand aesthetic & translate it into appropriate & category specific designs
- Participate in multiple design development methodologies including Casper Designed & Developed as well as leveraging external relationships. Creating brand eduction/rules for external consultants
- Participate in the entire development process, from design research & initial insights through form definition, feature development, CMF details & the creation of detailed documentation for production
- Collaborate with other design disciplines (design research, product management, engineering, graphic design, production, etc.) & across other functions within the company (supply chain, marketing, consumer experience, communications, etc.)
- Comfortable executing on both individual designs & whole collections around coherent themes, functions, prices etc
- Create physical & visual assets throughout the entire design & development process: sketching, creating prototypes, illustrations, renderings & detailed design drawings.
Our dream candidate...
- Youre both highly creative & practical; your designs are both beautiful & functional.
- A deep understanding & experience with the tools & processes for soft goods design & development (eg: in the realm of outerwear, apparel, textiles, or footwear)
- Experience with weaving, knitting, cut/sew, finishing & processing.
- End to end experience in collaborating with both Material Developers & Vendors.
- A designer who sees how a solution fits into a larger strategy, & also enjoys diving into the details, (you see the forest & the trees)
- You build to think; youre as comfortable sketching & building physical prototypes.
- You are passionate about creating delightful moments across the entire user experience
- Not essential, but experience with trims & labels would be a plus.
- Values & excels at collaboration with product development & product management Bachelors and/or Masters degree in Design with experience in soft goods, outerwear or apparel.
- 5+ years of design experience, including 2+ years leading projects
- Experience in a design consultancy and/or an in-house design team (ideally both)
- Willing & able to work in New York with travel commensurate with the position (10-20%)
The syrup on your waffles...
- Participation in our HQ bonus program for some splurging & equity so that youre part of the Casper family.
- Medical, vision, & dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles...)..
- Wellness programs like cash incentives for tracking sleep & fitness, credits for your favorite studios & in-office activities
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- Free snacks & coffee, including a huge breakfast selection (10 types of cereal anyone?)
- A full gifted bed set when you join & product discounts for friends & family!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you!