The Director of Finance is responsible for oversight of Times Square Alliances fiscal function, including budget development, monitoring, & forecasting; investment management; finance policies & procedures; risk mitigation; annual audit & 990 preparation; & payroll.
The Director of Finance reports to the Senior Vice President (with a dotted line to the Boards Finance Committee), & manages the Controller, Finance Associate, & relationships with external auditors & finance-related vendors. Ideal candidates will have demonstrated experience in fiscal management for organizations with sophisticated annual operating budgets in excess of $10M.
- Oversight of Times Square Alliances financial, procurement, & payroll operations, as well as short- & long-term strategic financial planning
- Creating, implementing, & monitoring the Alliances fiscal policies & procedures
- Preparation & monitoring of the organizations annual operating budget, including both assessment & non-assessment revenue, & supporting department heads in the preparation & monitoring of departmental budgets
- Monitoring & controlling spending & procurement, & conducting quarterly reviews of outstanding procurements
- Preparation of financial statements & reports to the Board of Directors, Finance Committee, Executive Committee, & senior staff, as needed
- Overseeing the preparation of financial & non-financial reports to meet reporting requirements & contractual obligations related to the Alliances relationship with New York City & other funding/granting entities (i.e., annual SBS report, quarterly DOT report, restricted grant reporting)
- Partnering with the Finance Committee & external investment managers to oversee the management of the organizations investments
- Overseeing risk management & insurance coverages to ensure the organization & its assets are adequately protected
- Partnering with Human Resources in the financial modeling & selection of employee benefit programs, including health insurance, disability, employee retirement programs, etc.
- Reviewing & negotiating contracts & other legal documents to ensure that the Alliance's legal & business interests are protected
- Management of the Controller & Finance Associate to ensure the smooth, accurate, & timely execution of the Alliances accounting activities (A/P & A/R, account reconciliations, cash flow management, etc.)
- Management of the Finance Associate & third-party payroll vendor in the execution of the organizations bi-weekly payroll
- Management of the Controller & external auditors in the preparation of annual audited financial statements & tax filings
- Management of relationships with external auditors, bankers, insurance brokers, retirement providers, & other finance-related consultants
- Serving as a signature authority for the organizations bank accounts, investment accounts, retirement accounts, credit card accounts, tax filings, financial & retirement audits, & insurance renewals/applications
- Assisting the Senior Vice President with management of the organizations day-to-day administrative operations
- In-depth knowledge of non-profit accounting procedures & IRS & NYS Charities Bureau regulations, & experience in managing finances for an organization of similar or larger size ($10+ million)
- Demonstrated experience with accounting related to an array of revenue sources, including real estate assessments, foundation grants, government contracts, & earned income
- Excellent written & oral communication skills with an ability to translate complex organizational data into clear & concise messages for a wide range of internal & external audiences, including the Alliances Board of Directors & other stakeholders
- Meticulous attention to detail
- High degree of proficiency with financial/accounting & database software (e.g. QuickBooks, Excel)
- MBA and/or CPA preferred