Did you grow up looking at National Geographic & Time Magazine & wanting to be a photographer? Are you obsessed with visual stories & Instagram? Do you believe that pictures are worth maybe more than a thousand words? We are looking to hire a photo editor at BuzzFeed News to help shape the visual voice for the next generation!
- Support the news desk by pulling engaging photo research for news pieces, & curating photo stories for an audience that is visually savvy.
- Find photos that take our audience on the ground where news is breaking.
- Spotlight the work of an up-and-coming photographer or exhibition that's relevant, such as this story on racism & this series on COVID-19 survivors.
- Work closely with award-winning journalists, visual producers, & the news desk to ensure that our imagery is smart & thoughtful.
- 3-6 years of professional experience, preferably in a newsroom. We are looking for someone who is detail oriented & able to work in a fast-paced environment, & who has a strong visual eye, strong news judgement, & good writing & communication skills. As we are an online news organization, an understanding of the internet & how images work on different platforms is a must.
- Familiarity with agencies, photo licensing practices & copyright law, & a passion for photography.
- Strong social media or video skills, & a deep knowledge of photo history & current photo trends would be a plus.
To apply, please submit a resume & cover letter including two ideas for photo essays youd want to do this week. Finalists will also be asked to take an edit test.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
- A generous & well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy & indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.