At Flexport, global trade is powered by data -- data that equips our clients with best-in-class visibility into their supply chains & helps them run their businesses effectively.
As an Ocean Trade Lane Manager, you will be the leader responsible for growing & building processes for your book of business & respective trade lane. Youll need to be multidimensional and able to work with stakeholders throughout the Ocean team & company to deliver results, including sales, operations, product, & finance. Youll need to be the leader & manager of your team to grow team members & build sustainable & effective practices.
- Be an Ocean leader, contribute & lead setting of team OKRs, setting project priorities, & coordination with other internal stakeholders
- Design practices, processes & procedures that allow team to execute efficiently
- People management responsibilities for all respective procurement team members, including performance evaluation, & supporting growth & development of team members
- Demonstrate an ability to project plan & develop people into roles, while taking into consideration both Flexport priorities & strengths/interests of team members
Create & promote the best solutions for Flexport customers
- Fully own the end-to-end procurement, solution design, rate setting, & implementation cycles for your geography
- Acquire & maintain a deep understanding of best-in-class market offerings & customer requirements for your geography
- Think outside-the-box to create innovative solutions to satisfy current customers & to promote acquisition new customers in your geography
- Collaborate with internal & external partners to procure & set business up for operational success & provide exceptional service for Flexport FCL clients
Partner with Client Solutions & Sales to provide enablement & support for effective selling of those solutions
- Communicate Ocean strategy & market to Flexport stakeholders, work consultatively with OMs & AEs to inform & set Ocean strategy
- Constantly provide market insights & empower Client Solutions to sell out of your geography
- Be the default subject-matter-expert partner for Client Solutions & the broader Demand organization to jointly drive go-to-market commercial strategy
- Be vigilant of market conditions & provide monthly & quarterly updates, as well as overall market trends to sales teams via regular conference calls or in-person meetings; help prepare sales collateral & business reviews
- Represent Ocean Trade Lane Management in leadership meetings internally & represent Flexport at industry conferences externally when required
- Frequently join sales calls & client visits to sell Flexports ocean product while providing valuable market expertise
Drive growth & profitability
- Drive the volume & net revenue growth targets for the region & own the implementation of global financial plans & strategies
- Consult with Client Solutions to price fairly & competitively & avoid revenue leakage/missed charges
- Ensure our Ocean rates are competitive to close valuable business for Flexport.. Negotiate directly with carriers, file contracts with carriers, & negotiate rates to sign carrier contracts with appropriate sub-provisions.
- Work with the Fulfillment/Partners teams to ensure appropriate allocation is considered when implementing opportunities to provide smooth business onboarding & prevent financial leakage.
Lead the procurement strategy to deliver excellent service at the lowest cost
- Work closely to onboard & strategically work with all of the major ocean carriers servicing target regions in order to procure competitive rates & capacity to support Flexports growth strategy
- Use scale of global Trade Lanes & relationships to systematically drive down our procurement costs while delivering excellent service quality
Manage external vendor relationships
- Monitor & drive ocean carrier satisfaction & ensure we are quality partners for the carriers while holding carriers accountable to the service & allocation they are honoring to Flexport.
- Assess carrier performance & drive performance improvements
You should have:
- Requires at least 5 year of related experience. Bachelor's degree required or equivalent years relevant work experience in procurement, supply chain, analysis or operations
- Team management experience
- Knowledge of product & technology within the industry
- Experience with regards to imports and/or exports from a sales, operational or procurement perspective.
- Experience building & maintaining relationships & partnerships with vendors
- Analytical skills & metric / data based approach to solving problems
- Strong analytical background & knowledge of analytical tools (Excel, etc)
- Strategic vision & ground floor execution
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, & organizational skills
We believe trade can move the human race forward. Thats why its our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers & their logistics partners with the technology & services to grow & innovate. Today, companies of all sizesfrom emerging brands to Fortune 500suse Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Dont be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. Thats why its important to bring people from diverse backgrounds & experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. Thats why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated & engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating & nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical & mental disability, health status, marital & family status, sexual orientation, gender identity & expression, military & veteran status, & any other characteristic protected by applicable law.