Purpose builds & supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, & habitable world. We use public mobilization & storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, & philanthropies engaged in this fight, & we create campaigning labs & new initiatives that can shift policies & change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, & political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy & powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, & ultimately drives targeted action & creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT THE VOICES INCUBATOR
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) launched Grand Challenges to bring the worlds brightest minds together to solve our worlds most pressing challenges. By investing in small-grants & holistic support, the Challenges foster innovation & experimentation for social impact. The Voices for Economic Opportunity Grand Challenge was launched to address the persistent toxic narratives about poverty in the U.S. In addition to providing $100,000 to each Grand Challenge Participant, BMGF is partnering with Purpose to design & support the Voices for Economic Opportunity Incubator.
The Voices Incubator provides resources for participants around community & collaboration, learning & training, & testing & experimentation to support the creation of breakthrough creative, scalable & strategic interventions that begin to shift harmful narratives on poverty & economic mobility in America.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking a standout Visual Designer at the Associate Tier to join our exciting new incubator team. Youll play an integral role creating content, & digital experiences with the power to inspire real change in the narrative around poverty in the US. Maybe youve been working in advertising or design, thinking, I wonder if theres someplace I could use my talent to tackle more important issues...? Purpose is that place.
The ideal candidate is an exceptional & polished visual designer who plucks unexpected solutions from the world around them & has trouble turning off their problem-solving brain. You are an ever-passionate creative & can work at our pace, innovating with every project that comes your way. Your portfolio showcases solid digital work (UX experience is a must) & branding that is as beautiful as it is smart. Your work reflects the most up-to-date design thinking as well as a masterful understanding of the basics of typography, color, & composition.
The role is based in Purpose's New York City office.
- Work closely with art directors to create strategic & beautiful designs based on the incubators established vision & concept.
- Participate throughout all phases, from concept to completion, to develop thoughtful design solutions that incite participation & engagement. Including but not limited to: brand identity, responsive web design, infographics & data visualization, print collateral, illustration, mock-ups, & video graphics.
- Work collaboratively with other designers, copywriters, video team members, as well as with strategists, technologists, analysts & online campaigners.
- Contribute actively in brainstorms & ideation sessions with the ability to present concepts & design to your team.
- Think critically & strategically, learn quickly from mistakes, & receive & incorporate creative feedback gracefully.
- Manage your time & workload effectively & work independently with minimal supervision.
- Coordinate production processes with internal teams & external vendors.
- Proven expertise across branding, digital, & print design, with strong understanding of the creative process, a clean & thoughtful design aesthetic, & very high creative standards.
- A passion for issue-based or political activism & belief in Purposes work combining storytelling & technology to inspire people to remake the world.
- Strong knowledge of brand development & the creation of comprehensive brand identity systems & style guides. Expert eye for typography, color, layout & user experience.
- Keen understanding of best practices & technical processes for web development & print production. You must be able to set up files for pre-press or handoff to a web developer, as well as be able to conduct quality assurance for your designs.
- Work well under pressure, maintaining quality & attention to detail under real-world deadlines.
- Self-motivated positive attitude & collaborative nature.
- 2+ years experience designing & concepting at a digital agency, consumer facing web company, or start-up environment.
- Thorough fluency with Adobe Creative Suite. Knowledge of additional design or prototyping tools is a plus, as is expertise in front or back-end coding, motion graphics, video production, illustration, or photography.
- Undergraduate degree in advertising, design, or related field or equivalent visual design degree.
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume & a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion & qualifications for the role.
Purpose is an equal opportunity employer! We take on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities & backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger & most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals & people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.