Purpose builds & supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, & habitable world. We use public mobilization & storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, & philanthropies engaged in this fight, & we create campaigning labs & new initiatives that can shift policies & change public narratives when it matters most. To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, & political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy & powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, & ultimately drives targeted action & creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Associate Accounting Manager is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting. This position will be responsible for developing & maintaining accounting principles, practices & procedures to ensure accurate & timely financial statements. This position addresses tight deadlines & a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation & the support of budget & forecast activities. The Associate Accounting Manager will have contact with senior-level directors & the firms CFO, Controller, & Accounting Manager which requires strong interpersonal communication skills both written & verbal. Purpose seeks a top performing individual to fill this critical role.
- Obtain & maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting & general ledger structure
- Ownership of the financial statement closing cycles (monthly, quarterly, annual) ensuring accurate completion in as timely a manner as possible
- Ensure the accurate & timely entry & processing of all transactions
- Supervise Accounts Payable function & act as point of escalation for any vendor/contractor inquiries or disputes
- Supervise Accounts Receivable function
- Supervise Expense Reporting process & escalate timing concerns
- Record & reconcile payroll regularly
- Assist the Accounting Manager in the daily banking & cash flow requirements
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information
- Ensure the monthly & quarterly compliance & local filing activities are performed in a timely & accurate manner
- Timely & accurate grant reporting to clients
- Support budget & forecasting activities
- Supervise, oversee & develop department team members
- Respond to inquiries from the Accounting Manager, & firm directors regarding financial results & special reporting requests
- With support from the Accounting Manager, take ownership to ensure a clean & timely year-end audit, consisting of a global consolidated financial statement audit & 3-4 standalone audits for international subsidiaries
- With support from the Accounting Manager, take ownership to manage timelines with external accounting firms & ensure timely tax filings for all entities & countries
- Ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met
- Assist in development & implementation of new procedures & features to enhance the workflow of the department
- Continually develop & maintain enhanced reporting capabilities for projects & grants
- Support the Controller with special projects & workflow process improvements
BA/BS in Business with an emphasis in Accounting, CPA preferred
Technical Skills & Prior Experience
- Four to six years prior experience in accounting. Experience working in a professional services firm, advertising agency or non-profit is preferred.
- Minimum of one to two years supervising junior level accounting team members.
- Experience working in a multi-entity international organization with consolidated financial reporting is required.
- Experience with project-level financial reporting is preferred.
- Thorough understanding of US GAAP (particularly complex areas such as revenue recognition) required.
- Must be PC proficient & able to thrive in a fast-pace setting.
- Experience with Sage Intacct strongly preferred.
- Experience with Nexonia strongly preferred.
- Advanced skill level in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.)
- Advanced skill level with Google Suite applications (Docs, Sheets, etc.)
- Strong verbal & written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory & customer service skills required.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure & meet deadlines required.
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume & a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion & qualifications for the role.
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities & backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger & most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, LGBTQ individuals & people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.