Kiva (kiva.org) is an international nonprofit with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers & students around the world. Through Kiva Capital, we serve as a bridge between large scale impact first investors & underserved populations. Our digital identity platform enables borrowers who dont have a track record with traditional financial institutions to record & verify their financial history & gain access to less costly mainstream financial markets.
Our organization combines the culture & technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion & empathy of a non-profit to create impact & opportunity at global scale. Since 2005, we have raised more than $1.57 billion in loan capital for 3.9 million borrowers in 98 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, & Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees & 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
An integral member of the marketing team, the Director of Communications will report to the Vice President of Communications to lead key external stakeholder & internal communications for Kiva
This role is open to both U.S. remote candidates & candidates local to our Portland, New York, or San Francisco offices,This role is open to both remote candidates & candidates local to our Portland or San Francisco offices,
At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage top level communication planning for external stakeholders, in particular Kivas corporate, High Net Worth Individual (HNWI), & institutional strategic partners.
- Lead partnership-related thought leadership, messaging & content development, including collateral & online materials.
- Develop & maintain strategic partnerships engagement calendar & content distribution opportunities based on thought leadership priorities & outreach & revenue goals.
- Lead strategic partnerships, Kiva Capital, Kiva Protocol, & Kiva Labs related PR & media efforts.
- Support executive & strategic partnership communications for speaking engagements & external events, including panel preparations & webinar production.
- Translate external communications for Kivas staff & inform internal communications efforts.
- Assess & support crisis communications needs.
- +10 years communications experience. Nonprofit fundraising, fundraising communications and/or experience marketing for impact investing preferred.
- Exceptional writing skills, with journalism and/or fundraising writing experience across partnership audiences preferred.
- Ability to coordinate efforts of various teams, external partners and/or executive leadership in order to present a coherent message.
- Ability to offer sound media relations advice & coaching to executives & colleagues.
- Exceptional interpersonal & communication skills.
- Excellent project management & execution skills a strong operator who consistently pushes for scale for a sustained period of time.
- A self-starter able to work independently as well as part of a collaborative team.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, & change the world
- Friendly, supportive, & adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- Opportunities to connect with & learn from colleagues & partners around the world
- Colorado salary range: $90K - $120K
A diverse & inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities & perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer & a great place to work. Join us & help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.