Vice is looking for an entertainment attorney with production experience to advise on a broad range of production, intellectual property, transactional, standards & practices, rights & clearance matters in connection with a new daily live show. The individual will act as production counsel, responsible for advising on the creation & use of content during pre-production & production of the daily show. This attorney will work closely with the production team, network executives & other members of the legal department on legal matters that may arise.
*This is an assignment that is scheduled to last approximately 4 months with the potential to extend.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Counsel internal clients on a variety of matters arising from the day-to-day operations of a 24x7 cable television network & related digital media business, including conducting pre-broadcast content review to advise on levels of risk related to intellectual property & other potential legal claims
- Negotiates & drafts all production related agreements (guest releases, location agreements, vender agreements, etc.)
- Structure & negotiate integrated marketing, sponsorship, & trade out agreements
- Review content for legal, standards & compliance concerns, including issues related to rights of privacy, defamation, copyright, safety & risk, language & decency
- Assist with labor & employment matters & related issues
- 7- 10 years of experience at an entertainment law firm, network, studio, or production company; studio/production & live show experience required
- Experience with licensing
- Understanding of standards & practices policies & protocols
- Deep understanding of substantive areas of law related to television production, including copyright, trademark, right of publicity, labor, & privacy
- Strong negotiation, communication & project management skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with competing priorities to make quick, sound decisions
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, collaborative environment.
- Sound business judgment, & flexibility/adaptability to manage multiple time-sensitive matters, including appropriately prioritizing among them
- Demonstrated ability, in a positive & practical manner, to identify & resolve issues efficiently & effectively
- J.D. & a member in good standing of the New York bar
- Role will work alongside Production & Production hours (i.e., early afternoon through show wrap of 11pm four days a week)
If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application & selection process, please let us know.We will work together to best meet your needs.
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create & maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion & diversity.At VICE, we understand that inclusion & diversity is a major benefit to our employees, our readers & viewers, & our company culture.We treat all applicants & employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity & expression, marital status & partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking & sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S.Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable laws.
*Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without a reasonable accommodation.The requirements & essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list & instead are meant to describe the general nature & level of work required of the job.VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.
To all recruitment agencies:Unless otherwise indicated, VICE does not accept agency resumes & is not responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes.