About the Team
The Harry's Quality Engineering team is responsible for the production & delivery of high quality products for both Harrys & Flamingo brands & our many store brand partners. The Quality Engineering Team supports a key strategic goal of the company to continue to provide high-quality products to customers & retailers all over the world by ensuring quality standards are consistently maintained in our products. Our team fulfills this function by conducting audits, drafting quality standards, advising management on ways to improve operations & represent the voice of or our customers/consumers to drive improvement.
About the Role
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an energetic & self-motivated individual to join Harrys Quality team as Packaging Quality Engineer in our New York City office.
Reporting to the Senior Packaging Quality Manager, the primary purpose of this role is to provide key technical support on Packaging projects from concept through commercialization, ensuring all aspects of Quality & Packaging performance are covered throughout the entire development process.
As the Company & portfolio grows, this role will serve as a leader that will set priorities, guides & establishes processes through Quality management on Packaging Development projects, from concept to mass production. As a Packaging Quality Engineer, you will work in cross-functional project teams & be responsible for establishing & promoting a Quality Culture while focusing on the continuous improvement of all activities & processes involved in business growth, innovation quality, innovation & cost savings projects.
What you will accomplish
The Packaging Quality Engineer works closely with R&D, Sourcing, Graphics, Supply Chain/ Manufacturing, Logistics/Distribution network to:
- Provide technical leadership on packaging programs from concept through specification development to final commercialization in manufacturing facilities.
- Coordinate & support Packaging Engineering aspects of materials development with focus on quality, performance, cost & services projects across the NPI agenda for Harrys & Flaming brands
- Implement package & finish goods specification content, creation & validation for all new & existing package components.
- Drive projects designed to improve efficiencies, package component quality, decrease complaints & cost of goods, specifically related to existing packaging challenges.
- Provide test data related to technical & structural robustness across the package function used to steer decisions related to specifications, package performance & technical preparedness for production
- Drive confirmation of new package testing protocols & procedures required to confirm functional acceptability of new packaging components & materials in regards o production, transportation method, storage conditions & end use.
- Provide Packaging Quality Assurance support in the manufacture of new & existing packaging
- Represent the Customer/Consumer's voice with the help of manager in direct decisions & in coaching of other functions to fully achieve a project's Quality targets, while achieving cost & timing targets.
- Overall Risk Management (eliminating risks through strong problem solving or by use of a specific controls)
- Participate in validation of project phase transitions using updates on risk assessment/risk management
- Provide alerts to Project Steering Team & Supervisor in the event of project breakdowns
- Develop synergistic working relationships with manufacturing plants as well as material vendors
Background & Experience
- B.S. Package Engineering/Chemical/Mechanical or related field
- 4+ years of Technical & Professional development experience with consumer packaging technology, preferably as Packaging Engineer.
- Demonstrated ability to support multiple projects across a designated brand/product portfolio with a substantial workload & theoretical knowledge of primary & secondary package engineering.
- Direct consumer product experience & knowledge of commercialization process
- Technical depth & performance management skills
- Dynamic cross-function interaction
- Highly effective project management
- Excellent communication & negotiation skills
- Broad knowledge of packaging materials, primary/secondary packaging designs, testing processes/procedures, shipping & commercialization process. (E-commerce packaging experience is a plus)
- Strong ability to utilize computer systems including TOPS or Cape Pack
- Robust problem analysis & solving skills
This should describe you
- Proven ability to interact with cross functional business partners to establish targets, plans & maintain timelines to ensure timely & quality execution.
- A logical & scientific approach to problem solving
- Demonstrated ability to accomplish objectives on assignments which have ambiguity associated with their procedures, solutions, approach, etc.
- Be able to parallel path several technical solutions & implement the best alternative to meet project goals & appropriate timing without compromising project execution.
- Leverage commercialization experience & technical knowledge to make quick & sound decisions while taking appropriate risks to solve project challenges.
- Ability to define action steps to advance programs given conceptual objectives.
- Ability to influence key business decisions during the packaging development process.
- Demonstrate understanding of packaging specification documents, content, systems, drawing & document management.
- Proactive problem solving by leveraging in depth & extensive knowledge of material technologies.
- Communicate complex technical matters in a succinct & clear way to both technical & non-technical people in both written & verbal forms
Here's who you'll work with
- Reporting to Senior Packaging Quality Manager
- Working in which team: Quality
- Which teams would they work with cross-functionally: R&D, Graphics/Design, Sourcing, Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Logistcis/Distribution.
Harrys started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harrys expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target & Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, & launched a womens brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, & logistics specialists, Harrys team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, & humble people youll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion & innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, & backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values & our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement & learning, teamwork & collaboration, creative problem solving, & open & direct dialogue & feedback. Come for the coffee & free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harrys is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds & perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, & do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC & are dedicated to going above & beyond in fostering diversity across our company.