About the Team
The R&D Packaging Engineering Team is responsible for the development & engineering of all aspects of packaging from concept to mass production. The team supports all packaging types including custom & stock packaging (bottles, caps, pumps, jars) & secondary packaging (folding cartons, gift sets) for all products within the Harrys brand portfolio. As we continue to expand into new categories, the R&D Packaging team will be an instrumental driver of innovation & brand success.
About the Role:
Consumer packaging is everywhere & in many cases its unavoidable. Packaging can be disappointing, frustrating, wasteful or unremarkable at best. Conversely, it can drive impulse purchase, consumer loyalty/satisfaction, deep brand recognition, & be mindful of its purpose without being excessive or insufficient. Were looking for someone who is passionate about creating overwhelmingly positive experiences for our consumers.
What you will accomplish:
- Bring your passion & enthusiasm for package engineering to work every day
- Research packaging sustainability/innovation/trends & develop packaging components that support new product introductions, promotions & operational initiatives.
- Recommend & own packaging workstreams required to qualify packaging components, tooling, equipment & processes.
- Manage all levels of packaging, from primary through tertiary.
- Fully own technical milestones in project timelines.
- Select stock packaging or manage new tooling development & validation for custom package component designs.
- Utilize engineering resources to iterate on packaging component designs to create & test ideas quickly.
- Participate in & drive packaging engineering design reviews & qualification results.
- Own packaging trials & package test plans. Troubleshoot packaging-related technical issues during development; develop risk mitigation plans & packaging alternatives.
- Work with the Design team & suppliers to develop color standards & establish production color & defect ranges.
- Bring printing & decorating experience to the process of graphics design, decoration testing, & artwork approval.
- Issue & maintain packaging component specifications, finished goods specifications, & assembly instructions, for production accuracy & scalable success.
- Maintain collaborative relationships with suppliers, contract manufacturers & internal cross functional partners.
- Seek new packaging innovation/trends.
This should describe you:
- Not a Remote position; NYC-area preferred, occasional office (2-3x week)
- BS in Package Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, other related disciplines, or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of experience in the design, testing, & development of new packaging using a range of manufacturing processes & materials, potentially with emphasis on plastic/elastomer injection molded & blow molded parts.
- Ability to travel to off site labs, contract manufacturers & suppliers up to 30%.
- Having knowledge of a variety of material properties & packaging components such as aerosols, pumps, closures, bottles, tubes, pumps, aerosols, flexible films & laminations.
- You have a good eye for design & aesthetics, plus experience with decorating techniques & materials used on primary, secondary or tertiary packaging.
- Honest, direct, & ability to articulate & defend technical packaging decisions as well as communicate clearly with cross functional teams.
- Experience analyzing technical drawings & critical dimensions of assemblies.
- Experience in development of 3D CAD models & 2D engineering drawings a plus
- Extremely organized, dependable & self-motivated with the ability to excel in a hands-on, fast paced environment.
- Life-long learner: You love learning new things & are not afraid to admit when you dont know an answer.
- Experience with sample/prototype creation a plus (i.e. paper cutting table or 3D prints)
Here's who you'll work with:
- Reporting to the Manager of Packaging
- Working in the R&D Team with Program Management, Product Development, Product Design Engineering, & Research
- You will work cross functionally with many teams including Operations, Design, Quality, Retail & Brand Marketing.
- Externally, you will work with packaging component suppliers, printing & decorating suppliers, & contract manufacturing & filling sites.
Harrys started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harrys expanded to the UK, Canada, Germany, France, Belgium, & the Netherlands, developed relationships with retailers such as Target & Walmart, & expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse. We have also launched three new brands including Flamingo, Cat Person, & Headquarters, & made our first brand acquisition with Lum!
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, & logistics specialists, Harrys team is composed of some of the most brilliant, diverse, & humble people youll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion & innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, & backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values & our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement & learning, teamwork & collaboration, creative problem solving, & open & direct dialogue & feedback. Come for the coffee & free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
We have a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy.
Harrys is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds & perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, & do great work together.
Harrys is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment & advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire & promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth & related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture & protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state & local laws. Harrys commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline & access to benefits & training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC & are dedicated to going above & beyond in fostering diversity across our company.