Poppin is looking for a Mechanical Engineer to join its Product Design Team concentrating on the development of new furniture & overseeing technical development & performance of product concepts. Working closely with our team of product designers in New York to provide creative & innovative solutions to manufacturing, the ideal candidate values & respects design intent, is motivated by the opportunity to apply creative solutions to any problem, is an expert at material sciences, & manufacturing processes, & thrives at turning innovation into reality. The position will report to Poppins Director of Engineering.
- Work day to day with the Product Design Team to make concepts feasible for manufacture
- Lead technical aspects of product development
- Develop & refine continued protocols for specification
- Interface with our overseas sourcing headquarters to coordinate factory specifications. (includes some after-hours communication, & quarterly overseas travel)
- Interface with interdisciplinary teams to manage schedules, deadlines, & presentations
- Mock-up proof of concept deliverables utilizing traditional & rapid prototyping equipment
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering with strong mechanical aptitude
- 5+ years exemplary experience within a furniture-centric product design environment
- Expert in Solid Works, with ability to create complex surfacing & organic forms + FEA analysis
- Experience in Pro/Engineer is a plus
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite for the purpose of presenting visually.
- Superb knowledge of manufacturing processes including: Injection molding, sheet metal, die casting, extrusions, machining, solid wood & panel assembly, upholstery, & part design
- Demonstrable experience with mechanisms, closures, kinetic assemblies & part dynamics
- Ease of communicating ideas to international suppliers
- Ability to qualitatively analyze problems & synthesize solutions
- Excellent shop skills with ability to quickly breadboard & utilize rapid prototyping equipment
- Expert knowledge of specifying dimensional tolerance materials & finish
- Accurate design control through organized documentation & modification
- Overtly healthy attitude toward making things possible
We believe that outfitting your office should be easythat's why weve reimagined the way people shop for their workspace. By eliminating middlemen, weve created a complete collection of commercial-grade office furniture & supplies while lowering prices & reducing delivery times. From startups to Fortune 500 companies, businesses rely on Poppin for complete workspace solutions to help build their brand & culture.
Recognized by Crains as one of NYs fastest-growing businesses, we have furniture showrooms in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, Washington D.C. & will have two more locations by the end of 2019. Our award-winning products are used in over 20,000 offices & sold in 3,000 retail locations nationwide.
Work happy isn't just our tagline, it's our ethos. We offer our team a mix of traditional & unconventional perks, & pride ourselves on providing top-notch benefits.