Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, & build their careers. More than 50 million professional & aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, & find job opportunities.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, & enable the world's developers. The products & services are focused on technical recruiting, developer marketing, and enterprise knowledge sharing. Our clientele includes Google, Microsoft, Bloomberg, & many other Fortune 500 names.
As a Sales Engineer at Stack Overflow, youll work in tandem with internal stakeholders to bring on new customers & discover their technology needs. The Sales Engineers help our customers get the most out of our product offerings and, during the pre-sales motion, youll work with customers to help them understand how Stack Overflow can fit into their current environment & development practices. This is an opportunity to engage at the intersection of code, systems, sales, & customer success, while also learning the ins & outs of operating a growing software business. The Sales Engineer is the start of a successful customer journey. You want to be with a collaborative team where your experiences, effort & ideas will matter. Youre relaxed yet professional, eloquent yet casual, & pleasant yet persuasive. Most importantly, you want to believe in the product youre selling & take a personal interest in the growth of the organization.
What youll do:
- Lead pre-sale technical conversations to guide prospective customers through the assessment of Stack Overflow, while understanding the customers technical environment & organizational challenges, & then applying a solution to fit
- Create seamless post-sale transition of account with comprehensive overview of technical validation to the Customer Success & Technical Services teams
- Engage with & maintain strong relationships with customers by receiving & responding to questions, concerns, & feedback
- Perform basic troubleshooting of common issues, working with & escalating to the development team as required
- Follow-up on previously escalated issues by tracking their progress & ensuring their completion in a timely manner
- Identify trends in needs & problems across customers & surface them to the team in order to better the product & lower future support burdens
- Ensure that our customers have the best possible experience with our product & team
- Mentor other members of the Customer Success Engineering team
- Strong awareness of the customer journey & how a to strategically guide customers toward agreed upon goals & outcomes
- Engage & meet with customers both virtually & onsite in order to develop a clear understanding of their needs
- Identify common customer challenges amongst your customer cohort to help identify opportunities for enhanced product solutions
- Partner cross-functionally with Stack Overflow Customer Success, Account Executive, Product, Engineering & Marketing teams to continuously improve the customer experience
- Ability to craft internal & customer-facing assets
What you need to have:
- 2 years of hands-on technical customer sales & support experience which involved identifying & resolving technical issues for a SaaS product
- Experience managing C-Suite & Executive-level conversations within a SaaS environment
- SQL skills-- You can read & write SQL queries, know how to do joins, & can understand a schema
- Ability to understand the needs of our customers & create an effective plan to install & maintain our Enterprise product in their environment
- Ability to present & communicate clearly & positively through written & spoken English to an audience of varying roles & titles
- Ability to take a proactive & emphatic approach to dealing with customers & users. You like to see the world through their eyes, & get ahead of their issues with fixes & improvements
- Can work cross-functionally & communicate effectively with internal points of contact from a variety of different backgrounds & levels of technical ability
- Technical writing skills-- proven written technical documentation from a previous role, or excel at communicating technical concepts to non-technical people
- Strong organizational skills-- ability to juggle multiple customers & issues at the same time, & need to be able to stay on top of things & maintain regular communication with both customers & the rest of your team
- Experience with tools such as Salesforce & Gainsight a plus
- Experience in both a pre-sales & post-sales environment
- Experience with our tech stack: C#, MS SQL, Elasticsearch, Redis
- The ability to read & navigate a codebase. You can take a stacktrace & work your way through to understand what is really happening behind the scenes
- Networking & firewall configuration & troubleshooting experience
What youll get in return:
- Competitive base salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (12-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, & unlimited sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If you want to work remotely.Well help you set up a great home office, with an ergonomic chair, standing desk, & any other equipment you need to do your job.
If you want to work in our officeYoull get your own private office in our headquarters in New York City, & enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, & all the espresso you can drink.
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check & upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company & better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can & we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.