THIS IS BLUE APRON
Chefs around the world wear blue aprons when learning to cook, & for us it has become a symbol of lifelong learning. Our highly motivated group of food enthusiasts are inspired to work on complex business problems with creativity & passion always looking to learn something new. We take preparation seriously, embrace a spirit of excellence, & put in the extra effort in everything we do. We are thrilled to be part of our customers lives, cooking & creating experiences in their home kitchens.
WHO'S IN THE KITCHEN
Blue Apron is the pioneer of the meal-kit business & we aspire to transform the home cooking experience & improve the food ecosystem. Our mission is to make incredible home cooking accessible to everyone.Were going back to the fundamentals & re-engineering how our software can better assist with warehouse operations through automation & data-driven decision making. Our solution is currently being used for recipe planning & inventory management, kitchen preparation, packaging, & shipping of our boxed meals. Currently, our fulfillment centers across the country use our software to ship hundreds of thousands of boxed meals per week.Were a result-oriented team of individuals that values autonomy & accountability. Were an inclusive culture that reflects diversity just like our menu reflects a variety of taste palates.As an Engineering Manager for Blue Apron in New York, you will be responsible for the ongoing evolution of our software architecture, mentoring talented engineers, leading projects, & growing the team. In addition, as the engineering leader, you will also be responsible for fostering the engineering community & culture, as well as maintaining strong communication across our organization.
WHAT'S ON THE MENU
- Responsible for evolving the teams roadmap, technology, & architecture, leading brainstorming & planning sessions.
- Provide technical leadership & direction to the engineering team, providing career guidance, & holding regular one-on-one sessions.
- Act as subject matter expert on assigned products & their implementation.
- Maintain a high bar for code quality through code reviews & helping the team think through edge cases.
- Facilitate sprint planning sessions & team retrospectives.
- Partner with other engineering teams, departments, & stakeholders to align on broader engineering & company initiatives.
- Identify, triage, & address issues or problems to proactively maintain or attain acceptable team performance metrics.
- Our stack: Ruby on Rails, Ember, Redis, Kafka, PostgreSQL
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science is preferred.
- Two or more years of managing an engineering team, preferably in an agile startup environment.
- Experience managing a distributed team, managing remote employees, or being a remote employee.
- Five or more years of experience developing production web applications & using MVC frameworks.
- Excellent communication skills, capable of conveying complex systems & logic to both technical & non-technical audiences.
- A thirst for learning & a passion for new technologies, processes, & patterns.
- Experience working with large-scale distributed architecture is a plus.
Blue Apron provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Blue Apron complies with applicable state & local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms & conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation & training.